🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Programmers: Would you drop everything to start a game dev venture?

Started by
16 comments, last by BS-er 22 years ago
I'm a programmer/engineer with solid C++ experience and some Direct3D experience, and a basic 3D game in progress. I often entertain the thought (or delusion) of leaving my secure, decent paying job, striking up a partnership with some serious programmer types, and self-funding a game development venture for about a year or maybe two. My partners and I would find a mutually agreeable location, rent some cheap office space or maybe a house for a year (a game development fraternity if you will), and we would eat, breathe and sleep game development. I believe that the programming and core design just can't progress satisfactorily in a virtual environment. You need to be immersed in it physically, on-site with other programmers, and have no other job ouside of the task at hand. The artistry and modelling for the game would be contracted with some buddies of mine at other locations, and we would hook up with them using NetMeeting from time to time. I think its acceptable to have the modelling and artistry done remotely because you don't have to worry about software interfaces and software structure so much with models and artwork. Of course such a venture would require major sacrifice. You would need to $$fund$$ your basic existence for the duration, until you turn a profit. personally I have saved enough to support myself and pay my share of the expenses (rent and what else?) for probably two years. I would think that the others would need to do the same. Anyway, It's fun to think about such things, but scarier to actually go through with them. It's just a daydream of mine for now. I'm curious if other programmer types entertain similar delusions . What real-world obstacles would likely get in the way? Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen. Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless. The Battlezone Launch Pad [edited by - BS-er on June 21, 2002 3:15:05 PM]
Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.Machines, Anarchy and Destruction - A 3D action sim with a hint of strategy
Advertisement
My big thing is assembling a well rounded life. Time out to enjoy the relevent things, good social life, girlfriend, etc. That makes me hesitant to just up and decide to pursue game programming full time.

I enjoy it, but for me, what good is it if I can't enjoy what I'm doing it for? All of that hasn't really come into balance yet, and it could go either way.

I had a good chance to make it all happen back in '98 when I had a couple interviews, but looking back, I'm partially glad it didn't happen. It would have required a move to California and there were some issues in my life I needed to clear up, and things still aren't quite right yet. It would have been a bad thing, I think, to be in the middle of a job requiring such intense devotions and have these issues emerging. There would have been too much going on to sort it out.

[edited by - Waverider on June 21, 2002 3:15:11 PM]
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
yep
I am trying to do the exact same thing. I am putting money into my "Game Developer Fallback Fund" so I can go a year without income and just focus on games.

My hope is that during that year, I can release a few shareware\mass market games to keep me going for the next 2 years after that.

Having a steady job is great. But i'd definatly risk it for a shot in game development.

Besides, I'm young, Now is the time to risk before I have a wife, kids and mortgage payments.

[edited by - caffeine on June 21, 2002 3:17:49 PM]
BS-er that sounds like such a cool idea, I wouldn''t do something like that because I am too young. But if some people really dedicated themselves like that, they''re bound to do something great.
quote: Original post by Caffeine
My hope is that during that year, I can release a few shareware\mass market games to keep me going for the next 2 years after that.Having a steady job is great. But i'd definatly risk it for a shot in game development.

Why risk it? Assumming you have enough spare time besides your normal job (and it sounds like you would, unless you have a slave-driving boss), why not just put some time into small projects and see if you can sell them? Besides, I kinda think that if you don't have the design skills or marketing skills to design and sell a small game people want to play, then what makes you think you have the skill to do so for a much bigger game? If you fail at a small project, then you have to keep trying to figure out what you did wrong, fix it, and try another small project. If you dont fail at a few small projects, then you have nothing to risk because you will already have money coming in.

[edited by - LordKronos on June 21, 2002 3:55:15 PM]
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Funny you should ask. I decided I wanted to be a game programmer a couple years ago (always a dream, but never acted on). I had a 3d animation company that seemed to reach a natural point for my dparture, so I left with the idea that I''d self-learn what I needed to, then I''d look for a job in the industry somewhere.

It''s been over a year, and I''ve learned a lot and I''ve actually come to the conclusion I''d rather not have another job! I''m trying to figure out a way to make enough off of self-produced titles. I''m hoping to release my first in a month or two and that''ll answer a lot of questions for me. If it doesn''t sell well, at least it''s experience and portfolio material (as I originally intended).

Not exactly a real joint venture on my part, but that wasn''t something I wanted (helping to run a business being one of the things I was escaping leaving my other company).
Why risk it? Assumming you have enough spare time besides your normal job (and it sounds like you would, unless you have a slave-driving boss), why not just put some time into small projects and see if you can sell them? Besides, I kinda think that if you don't have the design skills or marketing skills to design and sell a small game people want to play, then what makes you think you have the skill to do so for a much bigger game? If you fail at a small project, then you have to keep trying to figure out what you did wrong, fix it, and try another small project. If you dont fail at a few small projects, then you have nothing to risk because you will already have money coming in.

I'm not risking it just yet. I am doing exactly what you suggest right now. Making small games in my spare time after work - this is where I plan to have 90% of my fallback funds come from.

I don't expect to make a large game until I have a good stable income already coming from game development.

Taking a risk is a good idea, suicide is not =)

[edited by - caffeine on June 21, 2002 4:24:50 PM]
My best friend and I had an idea that after college that we''d just get part-time jobs to pay the rent and spend the rest of our time working on some game projects. It never happened. We both got married and ended up accepting good offers from non-gaming software companies.

We both still have the dream of creating our own studio, but I don''t think I would throw everything else that I have away (family, house, stable job, etc) to get it.
YOU SELL OUT!! :D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement