🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Programmers: Would you drop everything to start a game dev venture?

Started by
16 comments, last by BS-er 22 years ago
I still remember a few weeks after I had bought my house when the realization finally struck me, "I''m tied down!"

All of a sudden with a house and mortgage payment I couldn''t just up and move to california chasing that game dev position. I was sort of depressed for a while wishing I would have thought of that before I bought the house. But in the end I think it worked out, I have a (non game) programming/testing job where I am totally under-utilized it pays the bills and leaves me with free time to work on my own game.
Advertisement
Having quit my job in the game industry to start-up a decade-long dream, I can offer a few tips I''ve learned the hard way so far:

- Allocate money for legalities. Incorporating my company cost me 3 months of rent in lawyer fees. Additional unexpected lawyer fees were required for consultations and contractual agreements with publishers and contractors. There are other legal fees involved to keep your corporate book updated, as required by law. A seperate registered office at a law firm will also cost money.

- Allocate money for accounting. Accountants are cheaper than lawyers and usually only needed once a year, but it adds up come tax time. I did it myself once, but it wasn''t worth the headache.

- Find your weakness and make sure it won''t be a problem in the success of your business. For example, our current weakness is marketing - we simply don''t have the money and experience to do it and must rely on cheaper alternatives which are so far rather ineffective.

- Don''t settle for what you can find. Consult a lawyer or business consultant and make sure you''re not doing something or signing a contract out of desperation. It can cost your entire savings - a mistake from which we''re only finally starting to recover.

- Anticipate a lot of additional time for non-game development tasks. It takes months for your product to reach store shelves or its target audience, regardless if you do it yourself or through a publisher/distributor.

I wish I could offer more advice, but I''m in the same boat, just a little further down the same turbulant river.

Hopefully that will help some of you from making the same mistakes. As for holding a job at the same time, that''s something myself and others weren''t able to do successfully. Most of the people I''ve talked to about this have said the same thing: You can''t work 8-10 hours a day and expect to work on your game in the evening. There''s cooking to do, Star Trek at 7, cleaning, calls to return, groceries, and perhaps a social life. After a few weeks or months, you''ll either become ill from exhaustion or lose the motivation required to effectively do either job. Much worse if you work in the game industry all day long.

http://www.yamisoft.com
Would you drop everything to start a game dev venture?
Nope.

Game development is fun and challenging and potentially lucrative, but I plan on being a multi-millionaire at the least. I also feel a social obligation to my country (okay, other country), Nigeria, to improve infrastructure and standard of living. I hope to actually put the first phase of my multi-tier business plan into motion this Christmas...

If I was American through and through, maybe. I still think that my temperament isn''t ideal for game development, so it''s just a hobby for me (what a change from when I was younger!)
quote: Original post by Yamisoft
- Allocate money for legalities. Incorporating my company cost me 3 months of rent in lawyer fees. Additional unexpected lawyer fees were required for consultations and contractual agreements with publishers and contractors. There are other legal fees involved to keep your corporate book updated, as required by law. A seperate registered office at a law firm will also cost money.

You can form a legal US corporation at bizfilings.com. I think they charge $100-200. I know several people who''ve used this service, and all seemed pleased with it. I haven''t used it myself though. Many accountants are also quite knowledgeable about incorporating, and they often charge much less than a lawyer for a consultation.

quote:
- Allocate money for accounting. Accountants are cheaper than lawyers and usually only needed once a year, but it adds up come tax time. I did it myself once, but it wasn''t worth the headache.

Agreed. A good accountant can be very helpful. I also recommend finding a good insurance agent. Mine has been particularly helpful as the business has grown. Insurance is such a competitive business that you''ll learn a great deal about selling just by observing all the techniques your insurance agent uses on you.

quote:
- Find your weakness and make sure it won''t be a problem in the success of your business. For example, our current weakness is marketing - we simply don''t have the money and experience to do it and must rely on cheaper alternatives which are so far rather ineffective.

A good question to ask is: "Are you willing to allow your business to become better at something than you are?" For instance, you may be weak at marketing, but your business doesn''t have to be. Thinking in these terms helped me see how I could bring in other people and services to fill in the gaps that I didn''t have time to master personally. For instance, I love high-level planning and strategic work, but I don''t enjoy low-level detail work as much. So I hired someone else to handle the details, allowing me to spend more time working from my strength. We tend to be better at work that we enjoy.

quote:
Hopefully that will help some of you from making the same mistakes. As for holding a job at the same time, that''s something myself and others weren''t able to do successfully.

I agree. My advice to anyone who wants to succeed at running a game studio is to go for it with 100% commitment and burn the ships behind you. Holding a separate full-time job acts as a crutch, and it will seriously dilute your motivation to succeed. It''s also a major distraction, and it''s more likely you''ll fail this way because you aren''t fully committed. But eliminate that fallback position, and put yourself in the situation where you have to sell your game or you can''t pay the rent, and you''ll find the motivation to work those long hours. That''s because the fear of going broke is a much stronger motivator for most people than the pleasure of getting rich. Most people will work a lot harder to avoid poverty than they will to gain wealth.

Anyone who doesn''t fully commit themselves full-time is going to have a tough time making any headway because they''ll be competing with people who are 100% committed. Making a 50% effort doesn''t mean you''ll get 50% of the sales you would compared to if you made a 100% effort. A 50% effort is more likely to yield only 10% of the results you could have gotten at 100% effort.

Steve Pavlina
Dexterity Software
www.dexterity.com
-- Steve PavlinaDexterity Softwarewww.dexterity.com"Boredom's Greatest Enemy"Free Shareware Success Articles | Indie Game Dev Forums
I agree with what Steve says in that you must be 100% committed or it just isn''t going to happen. I do however disagree with the thought that you cannot hold a full time job and start your own gamedev studio.

While I don''t have any finished product to prove this (Steve is living proof of his assertion ) I have been 100% committed to my game development endeavor for the past 6 months and I’m still going strong.

I can''t leave my day job without loosing my house and that''s not a sacrifice I’m willing to make right now. So I took stock of what I had and made a decision, "If I was going to do this game dev stuff then I had to divorce myself from career advancement goals at work (day job)". I think the key here is changing how you think. When I go to work, I work hard and make good use of my time but I never work more then 45 hrs. I do the work that''s given to me and sometimes make little tools and apps on the side to help my team.

But when 6:00 rolls around I’m out of there no matter what. (I start at 10:00 am) I go home spend some time with the wife and kid till dinner (around 8:00 or so, we eat late) and then after dinner it''s coding time until about 2-3 am.

On the weekends it''s pure family time, no work and no game coding. What I''m trying to get at is that it''s possible to mentally "burn your ships" without actually quitting that job that pays your mortgage.

A good friend of mine often quotes me this passage when ever I complain about not being able to do something. "There is nothing you can''t do, only things you choose to do and choose not to do" When you take a step back and look at your choices ask your self "why do I not do this?" or "Why am I doing this?" When you can answer these questions honestly to yourself you will know if you have the commitment to make your dreams a reality. On the flip side you may realize that starting your own game dev studio is not as important as you thought it was and you’re not ready to give up a promising carrier at your non game dev. day job.

Both answers are valid, but they are worth asking before you spend alot of time and effort working at something you will eventually abandon because you weren''t really committed in the first place.

quote: Original post by Dexterity
You can form a legal US corporation at bizfilings.com. I think they charge $100-200. I know several people who''ve used this service, and all seemed pleased with it. I haven''t used it

Yes, I''m envious of the ease of setting up and running a business and such in the US - thanks to the American Dream. It seems you have a web site for every possible service, while Canada prefers the good old paperwork and running around the bush. Go figure.

quote: A good question to ask is: "Are you willing to allow your business to become better at something than you are?" For instance, you may be weak at marketing, but your business doesn''t have to be.

That''s an interesting perspective, I never looked at it that way. Of course, I certainly plan to go that route once I can afford it. We''re still working for free, hence our many hats.

quote: That''s because the fear of going broke is a much stronger motivator for most people than the pleasure of getting rich. Most people will work a lot harder to avoid poverty than they will to gain wealth.

Very true. I''ve come to realize just that in the past couple of months. The poorer I get, the harder I work. Perhaps that explains why so many people must first hit rock bottom before eventually succeeding.

www.yamisoft.com

quote: Original post by BS-er
I''m a programmer/engineer with solid C++ experience and some Direct3D experience, and a basic 3D game in progress.

I often entertain the thought (or delusion) of leaving my secure, decent paying job, striking up a partnership with some serious programmer types, and self-funding a game development venture for about a year or maybe two.

My partners and I would find a mutually agreeable location, rent some cheap office space or maybe a house for a year (a game development fraternity if you will), and we would eat, breathe and sleep game development. I believe that the programming and core design just can''t progress satisfactorily in a virtual environment. You need to be immersed in it physically, on-site with other programmers, and have no other job ouside of the task at hand.

The artistry and modelling for the game would be contracted with some buddies of mine at other locations, and we would hook up with them using NetMeeting from time to time. I think its acceptable to have the modelling and artistry done remotely because you don''t have to worry about software interfaces and software structure so much with models and artwork.

Of course such a venture would require major sacrifice. You would need to $$fund$$ your basic existence for the duration, until you turn a profit. personally I have saved enough to support myself and pay my share of the expenses (rent and what else?) for probably two years. I would think that the others would need to do the same.

Anyway, It''s fun to think about such things, but scarier to actually go through with them. It''s just a daydream of mine for now. I''m curious if other programmer types entertain similar delusions . What real-world obstacles would likely get in the way?

<FONT COLOR="#ff3000">Value of good ideas: 10 cents per dozen.
Implementation of the good ideas: Priceless.</FONT>
<a href="http://planetbattlezone.com/launchpad">The Battlezone Launch Pad</a>

<SPAN CLASS=editedby>[edited by - BS-er on June 21, 2002 3:15:05 PM]</SPAN>

If though there was a very good chance the game would take off then maybe, but probably not.
hey bser, i remember playing bz with you several years ago :D

anyhow, i think it would be a worthwhile experience to just drop everything for a year to set up a dev venture with some people. personally, i would love to get involved in something like that since im going to be done with school in another year. the only problems i can really see would be money issues, otherwise i cant really see any downsides

good luck, and let us know how you do if you decide to move forward on this

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement