🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Sales and age issues

Started by
5 comments, last by Raymondo 22 years ago
Im just wondering me and a couple buds (3 of us plus a professional artist)have come up with a pretty good game concept. We are ready to start development, but we are pretty young and dont have access to mcuh money. We want to sell our game, we only want to make enough money to pay back our game artists.T he total comes to about 400$. We are young and concerned about being screwed because of our age. One of them wants credits in the game, I feel like im setting him up he thinks the game is gunna be big! big! big! I dont want to disappoint him and loose him as an artist due to not only our age but also how well the game does (PS he doesn''t know that we are all 15). How should I go about selling the game and what should I tell the artist? Who on earth should I approach to sell this game? Is there anyway we can get like 5-10 copies in the bargin bin at futureshop? Keep in mind we are not wanting to make it big, we just want to pay back this great artist guy. BTW, I would rather you not comment on our age in a negitive fasion, dont point out the obvious. I would not be here looking for answers if we sucked at making games. I am looking for ideas on how to get around the age and financial barrier. Thx for the help!
Advertisement
Corrections:

There is only one artist. Please ignore any refrences to 2 artists.

Also ignore all the spacing, grammer, and spelling errors. I typed this really late at night.

Thx.
If this guy is a pro artist you should be honest with him and not waste his time. If he is an older person he has to pay his own rent and food. So the subject of money is very important.

However it is possible to make money selling your game over the net. Read this forum on a regular basis and you''ll learn everything you need to know.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
If you guys can program, and this artist knows anything about games, then you should be able to work this out just fine. The first thing you''ve got to do is get the game built, at least the engine and some demo levels. Use MS Paint art for place holders, just stick men and stuff you can make. Then send that demo to the artist. If he believe that the game is good enough to eventually make some sales, he''ll probably hold off on demanding payment until you do make some money. So he does the work because he believes that its a quality product, and you pay him only after you do get those first sales.

It worked for me. I got an artist to do several weeks worth of work for free, on the condition that he gets his share when its published. I finished the game, he finished the artwork, and we''re anxiously waiting for publishers to respond. If no money ever comes of it, then we release it as freeware or self publish, and consider it a learning experience.
If you don''t want to worry about finding artists, paying them, etc., you could always learn how to make your own art (that''s what I''m doing right now). There are some pretty good tutorials and message boards out there that are for beginners (example - http://tsugumo.swoo.net/tutorial/, http://pixelation.swoo.net/ - they focus on tiles and sprites).
It just takes some dedication and time (practice). Anybody can make art.

Also, from what I''ve seen so far, shareware games don''t normally have to be visually stunning to be successful.
First off, be honest with people you work with. Don''t promise things you can''t deliver and don''t mislead people. I''m not saying advertise that you are 15, but don''t lie about it.

As far as paying the artist goes, if he is going to do all of your game art for $400, he is either a kid as well or someone not too concerned with the cash and is doing it mainly for fun. I say this because game art is a huge time and talent investment.

borngamer
The best thing to do is not promise any money as reward. To get money from a game you reeally have to do something amazing otherwise you''ll get a "... i''m impressed, good game!" either than $$$.
Considering that you haven''t had any real classes of the programming language you are doing, doing something amazing to a point of selling is hard...
Start simple with no money on mind, find someone else who does the graphics for fun. Otherwise you might get into a situation of having to ask your parents for $400.00, which is kind of a boring situation.
Above all, do not hide anything from the team. If you want to deliever the news in a soft way, tell him by e-mail with a nice
demo of the game attached with it.
About selling the game, use the IRC, go to a national games magazine channel, try to meet someone from the magazine, tell him
about your project and if he could get something on the next edition. If yes, it''ll be good publicity and you might call the
attention of some editor.

Telmo Amaro - www.codingdreams.xrs.net (New game released)

- Telmo Amaro -

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement