🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Indie Website?

Started by
40 comments, last by Jester101 21 years, 11 months ago
Ok.

Well of course it should state 5 reasons, not 10. However what I wrote is:

All other download sites we know about tell you they tested & rated the products - but they haven''t. It would simply require a too many full-time editors to do that.
We test as much software as we can and only give the best an "Editors pick".

Which I actually do. All software is untested, except if explicitly stated (by an editors pick and possibly a review). Where is the lying here? I will change the text to make this point clear.

With the hundreds of download sites out there I guess its a good idea to immidiately show the visitor why this site is different. And I can hardly believe that it falls back to me, because I strictly do what I claim to do on this site. But I agree that they are commands. I''ll change it into a "take the tour" link.

Changing blue and white is ok.

You say that the news are not important for the customer. Why should I fill the whole third column with news then? As you said you need to scroll down - to see the less important things. I consider the search box more important than the news.

And in my opinion the change of colors for the featured listings make the site less boring.

Sorry that I use not all of the suggestions, but I have a different opinion here.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Jester101
All software is untested, except if explicitly stated (by an editors pick and possibly a review). Where is the lying here?

I think the confusion may be from what you said previously. In your post in the "Your Announcements" forum, you said "The listings are handpicked to ensure quality", which to me implies that you try out all software before placing it on the site (and as a result, only the good software ends up there). Perhaps that was a misstatement, or perhaps you have changed your policy in that short time. But for me, that was a point of confusion.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Ah ok. Handpicked meant for me that I look at the screenshots and the website, make sure the link works, etc.

Jester, I think it''s better to write in your site
TAKE A LOOK TO MY SPONSOR''S GAMES!
Difference in opinion is oke, it''s your site. I only gave you an impressions about how i perceived the site. I still think you are not entirely honest in these reasons, but you don''t have to defend yourself to me. I just think you shouldn''t bring up the subject at all. Putting down competing sites also reflects on your self. If i want to sell you some mushrooms and say "buy my mushrooms others may sell you poisonous ones", then you might think "wait a minute, mushrooms can be poisonous, why should i buy one at all". We have a saying here "don''t wake up sleeping dogs" and that''s the advice i give you for free, so do whatever you like with it......
quote: Original post by smilydon
Putting down competing sites also reflects on your self. If i want to sell you some mushrooms and say "buy my mushrooms others may sell you poisonous ones", then you might think "wait a minute, mushrooms can be poisonous, why should i buy one at all".

I agree with smilydon. Because I believe it's important to set yourself apart from the competition without burning your bridges or stabbing yourself in the back, you could say "I hand-pick my mushrooms and taste them to ensure the best possible quality!" (I wouldn't buy mushrooms that were licked by someone else, but you get the idea ) This proves they're not poisonous and shows that you take the extra step to ensure a good product (other mushroom vendors don't taste theirs), without insulting the competition which could one day become business partners.

In regards to the "poison" analogy, I believe in keeping the consumer informed as it can often lead to trust. If you're the only one who admits that mushrooms can in fact be poisonous, then one can conclude that you're an honest mushroom expert and will most likely want to come to you next time. But again, teach them about poisonous mushrooms and let THEM take the final easy step of eliminating the competition. What you need to do is lead them to their own conclusion, not make it for them. If you did your job right, they'll conclude what you wanted them to. That way they won't feel they've been dictated to, and may even feel a little smarter thinking that they found the very best on the net. That's just my opinion.

Yamisoft Entertainment Inc.

[edited by - Yamisoft on July 1, 2002 7:55:04 PM]
I stopped reading posts after a while; but to answer the question about how to rate games. I would suggest putting together a bunch of different people that rank games. Music sites do this because people have different tastes and while you make think a FPS rocks I might think it sucks. Describe what the "ranker" likes and then show his/her list. Let people figure out which "ranker" rocks and which sucks. Ever have someone who recommends movies that you know are horrible? Personally I know any movie recommendation from my Aunt means I''ll hate that movie.
Ah thanks to Yamisoft and smilydons last mail I understood what you mean. Ok I''ll go back and try to completetly write it different.

Concerning what the Annonymous poster said: Right now all you need to do to get the same treatment as my sponsors is to link back! If you are not even willing to link back, I have no mercy with letting your product move down the list. Actually I don''t even understand your point.

As I don''t rate the products anymore - due to complaints of the devs here - I won''t need a group of raters. But I could use some moderators. Unfortunately nobody was interested.

quote: Original post by Jester101
But I could use some moderators. Unfortunately nobody was interested.

What exactly is the role of a moderator on your site?

Your web site gets better by the day, keep it up

Yamisoft Entertainment Inc.
Hmmm mushrooms
Adrian Cummings (Proprietor)Mutation Softwarewww.mutationsoftware.comwww.dweebs.info

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement