🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Violent vs Non-Violent shareware games

Started by
15 comments, last by Will O 21 years, 12 months ago
this reminds me of an old nes game i used to play. i cant remember the name though.

anyway, i think multiplayer would be worth the effort for this. whether it be split screen or LAN/internet it would be good. i think split screen would be better though.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Will O
One problem is that the weapons would also have to effect the AI cars, so unfortunately the blur or confusion would have much of an effect.

Sure it could, you just have to program it. What would happen to a human player if you swapped all the input directions for 10 seconds? The player would keep making wrong turns. You just need to program that into your AI somehow: when confused, 50% of the time the AI would make a wrong turn or accidentally brake. For a blur/blind type of weapon you modify the AI so that it doesnt plan far enough ahead. That way it either has to go slow, or it sees things too late to turn.

About multi-player:
I think multiplayer is a LOT of fun, but its not essential to a racing-battle game. Its fun in that its always a laugh to blow up your best friends just before they cross the finish line, but I could always get plenty of entertainment from a single player racing game (dont ask me how many days/weeks I spent playing Crash Team Racing against the computer).

And for other ideas for non-violent weapons, try playing some of the 3D console racing games (crash team racing, mario cart, etc). It might give you some more ideas. Here are a few more:
Brick walls (or something like that) that you can drop behind you. When cars hit it they stop dead.
Something that makes you faster or everyone else slower
Shields (to protect you from weapons).

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Coming July 2002

[edited by - LordKronos on July 6, 2002 11:56:12 AM]
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Actually, the game is going to be top-down, and tile-based. It is not going to scroll, so the whole level is going to fit on the screen. So if there is multiplayer, I could have both players on the same screen without splitting it.

LordKronos: I guess you are right, sounds like a good idea. I love multiplayer and singleplayer modes for racing games, and I've played Mario Kart A LOT. Hmm, I liked the lightning, maybe I could find a way to put that in my game without making it such a rip off, lol.

EDIT: Didn't see LordKronos' reply

[edited by - Will O on July 6, 2002 12:02:49 PM]
Hi!

Make 2 games! a violent and a non-violent game.

Change the graphics and the (hopefully little) details of code that make the difference between the violent version and the non-violent, call the violent one "battle racer", the non-violent one "crazy racer", and you can sell 2 games to satisfy all types of customers.

McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
McMcDonald, that''s not very realistic. In a perfect world, maybe, but I think I''ll stick to just 1 game. I think I will add the excitement of weapons, but without the violence in my game... the best of both worlds .
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
this reminds me of an old nes game i used to play. i cant remember the name though.

RC Pro-Am perhaps? Or maybe Spy Hunter?

Steve Pavlina
Dexterity Software
www.dexterity.com
-- Steve PavlinaDexterity Softwarewww.dexterity.com"Boredom's Greatest Enemy"Free Shareware Success Articles | Indie Game Dev Forums
RC Pro-Am was certainly one of them I was thinking about. There was another game for the PC like this that I played about 5 years ago, but I cant remember it''s name. I''ll have to look and see if I still have a copy of it on a CD or zip disk somewhere.
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement