🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Web sites

Started by
29 comments, last by d000hg 21 years, 12 months ago
This is a coupla questions about getting a website. Yes sorry this is the wrong thread I know, but there doesn''t appear to be a site about web stuff hint GD.NET staff! So anyway: 1) I need a website to post demos/screenshots of my project. So for that I just need a free site with a reasonable amount of storage space like 10s of Megs. I''d also prefer one without adverts if that''s possible. 2)The thing is, I will be selling my game online when finished, and I have no idea about what kind of site I''d need. I''ll want people to be able to download maybe 10MB for the game, and I''ll either be using billpoint, paypal or some 3rd party creditcard processing company. What I need to know about this is - what knid of things influence how much your site costs - MB downloaded, hits, money being made etc... and how much that costs for someone likely to sell maybe a few copies a day. Can anyone tell me how much they pay for their site and how much it costs and how they get payment? oh I am UK based. cheers
Advertisement
Well, I am no expert on these matters, but I am from the UK...

Many factors influence the cost of hosting services, but probably the most important are bandwidth requirement, services required (CGI, SQL, ecommerce, etc), space required and, quite critically, how fast/reliable the provider is.

I think we pay GTS Netcom about £80 a year for one 50MB site. There is no bandwith limit on that and the connection is pretty fast, but you are not able to run any scripting on it (to any meaningful degree), so that limits its use.

I recently started with another host, Netweaver, which costs £35 per year for 25MB of space and has a 5GB/month bandwidth limit. However, you also get full CGI/Perl/PHP/SQL/Etc access. You can pay more for more greater webspace/bandwidth.

Again, I''m no expert, but I would imagine that you don''t get free hosting for free, so to speak. Lousy speed, poor bandwith allocation, or advertising would be there somewhere I should think. In my view, if you are trying to advertise and sell a product, you should be using a decent paid-for hosting service with a www.dexter.com type name, not www.geocities/dexter.

When you come to deciding on a host, try getting a copy of one of the internet mags, such as .net or Internet. Most have a listing of the top 100 or so web hosting services together with their recent performance. The top 20 are usually more expensive, aimed at large businesses, but then you get the less expensive ones such as Netweaver. Check out their sites and see what they offer. All the packages have their pluses and minuses.
Alternatively, see www.webperf.net for UK hosting performance statistics, and hence the names of many web hosts.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info, coupla queries:
1)isn''t 5GB/month massive? I presume that''s all traffic not just downloads.
2)I don''t know what services I require. If I want the site to hold a list of all online games at any particular moment, what would that use? Or to check passwords to let users download games/maps or whatever?
3)If i use a 3rd party credit card company, do I have the stuff on my site or theirs?

John 3:16
quote: Original post by d000hg
Thanks for the info, coupla queries:
1)isn''t 5GB/month massive? I presume that''s all traffic not just downloads.

Not really. Think about it... 5GB/month ~= 160MB/day. If your game is 10MB then only 16 people can download per day before your site gets shutdown (or you get charged big $$$ for any overage)

2)I don''t know what services I require. If I want the site to hold a list of all online games at any particular moment, what would that use? Or to check passwords to let users download games/maps or whatever?

You''ll definitely need something like ASP/PHP/PERL/SQL/etc to do that.

3)If i use a 3rd party credit card company, do I have the stuff on my site or theirs?

Things like paypal are hosted on their own site, you have an merchant number that you use when linking, ie. http://www.paypal.com/purchase.asp?merchant=12345&product=678 (Thats not exactly how paypal works, but you get the idea).
I am using Getafile.com for my downloads. They charge 2.99$ for 1GB. Unfortunately I have <> 250 GB a month - so that''s a lot of money. Is there a cheaper way to host your files?

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

quote: Original post by Jester101
250 GB a month

That a lot of bandwidth. Have you looked into FilePlanet, I don''t think they charge you for the file hosting (they get revenue from ads and premium memberships).

This is all yet another reason to keep your downloadable games small. Is there any way to make your 10MB game a 5MB game instead? Its well worth putting time in to get the game as small as possible, not just to save bandwidth but also to encourage a casual download.
I get 200MB a day for my service (webaxxs) and its about $150 a year, with reporting and scripting although they dont handle email at all, its pure web hosting.
I dont recommedn demon, they are very unreliable and overcharge for what you get.

http://www.positech.co.uk

quote: Original post by cliffski
This is all yet another reason to keep your downloadable games small. Is there any way to make your 10MB game a 5MB game instead? Its well worth putting time in to get the game as small as possible, not just to save bandwidth but also to encourage a casual download.

Not really - if this was a simple game then that''s a good argument, but this is a 3d racing game and a major factor is the quality and number of maps. And unfortuaneately maps are relatively big, like at least 500K a piece. Even with only 10 maps, plus textures + models + .exe file then you''re looking at ~10Mb, maybe a 6MB .zip at very least, but I want to include lots of maps. Though I may make the maps downloadable one by one so you can download them whenever you get bored of what you have.

quote: You''ll definitely need something like ASP/PHP/PERL/SQL/etc to do that.

Well I know SQL. That could manage the game list, but how would you actually communicate with the website? Do you store an exe file then run it somehow? I''ve no idea how you instruct a website to do anything - all I know is HTML and ow to read a file!

John 3:16
Well in order to interact with SQL you'll definitely need some type of serverside scripting language. You can use ASP, CGI, Perl, PHP, JSP or CFM (ColdFusion). Which one you choose will definitely influence the cost of the server you use. ASP is almost strictly an NT/2000 server dependent language. The rest can be run on a UNIX server (which are generally cheaper) and are not that hard to learn.

The best thing I can suggest is to explore what type of hosting plans are available in the UK and what your needs are exactly before settling on any one plan. If you don't have the time or inclination to setup your own site there's always the option of hiring a professional web developer to create your site for you. I would recommend when you do setup your site that you go with either PayPal or some other type of 3rd party credit card service because you don't really want to deal with SSL and everything associated with that unless you are expecting a huge amount of sales.

Oh, as for as a forum for websites, try this:Clicky
Hope this helps some...

Anaton
Flying Tigers CFSG

[edited by - Anaton on July 7, 2002 12:12:02 AM]
Anaton
quote: Original post by Michalson
That a lot of bandwidth. Have you looked into FilePlanet

Personally, I HATE! HATE! HATE!!!! File Planet. Did I mention I hate it? To me, the site is a PITA to use.

First: You have to register with them to download a file. Potential customers hate giving out more info then they need to. If downloading a demo is more complex then "Click here to download" a lot of people wont even bother.

Second: Unless you pay for the premium service, you have to "wait in line" to download. While this seems like a good idea (you can wait orderly, rather than fighting to get that open connection) its a real pain. Worst off is that their statistics are entirely off. I have never had an accurate wait time (never even semi-accurate). As an example, I tried downloading America''s Army this weekend. I found a server that said I had a 14 minute wait, so I got in line and found 2100 people in front of me. To make a long store short, 45 minutes later I had 1600 people in front of me, and my wait was now down to just 10 minutes.

Third: Well, I dont know. I guess 1 and 2 just bother me so much, they just seem like 3 annoyances.

That said, there probably isnt anything wrong with listing your game on File Planet for those that might stumble onto it there, but I certainly wouldnt try to use it as a primary download site (like sending visitors from your site to download it there).
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement