🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting Your Game Recognized and Reviewed

Started by
7 comments, last by GroZZleR 21 years, 11 months ago
Hey all, My team and I are finishing up work on an online strategy game, and it''s going to be released sometime soon. However, how would we go about approaching game review sites and submitting links / information about our game to be posted to receive more coverage? How do things like these (press releases, etc.) generally work and how can we avoid being called "noobs that don''t know what they''re doing so don''t get any attention". Do we have to bribe people? Whats going on? Any ideas?
Advertisement
Shareware Promotions
Its not shareware though, its completely free and you play it online (no downloads, nothing). I mean, its not being carried by Eidos or anything, but its something the public would probably like to know about.

So how can I get those giants like Game-Revolution and GameSpot to review it and / or "plug" it?
It is unlikely you will get one of those sites to review it because they only do mainstream games. but, you should list it on any sites you can find to help it gain popularity. one i know of is www.mpogd.com You can also join a web ring.
Just submit your game to ZDNet.

Within a few weeks of getting listed, other download sites around the world will steal the listing and add it to their sites. You will get more traffic than you hoped for.

My Halloween game has well over 120,000 downloads and it has only been around since October. This month alone I have 122 downloads and it''s only 10 days in (not to mention Halloween should be the last thing on anyone''s mind).

The listing is free and the only thing you need to do is make sure you have the bandwidth available on your host.

borngamer
Send a well-written press release to Gamespot. Lately I've seen them post all kinds of announcements from teams no further along in development than you are.

Also, most game review sites have an email address for the news editor. Just send them your announcement and they might post it.

Good luck.

[edited by - Tacit on July 10, 2002 12:26:37 PM]
_________________________The Idea Foundry
So a press release is the way to go?

Theres no actual SOFTWARE to download or anything, so I can't exactly submit it to ZDnet ^_^

I'll guess we'll just try to bamboozle them with a good press release writing and hopefully they themselves will follow it up with a review on their own.

www.mpogd.com is rather good too, anyone know any other sites like these?

[edited by - GroZZleR on July 10, 2002 12:34:26 PM]
The way publishers get their games reviewed by the popular mags are just by sending free copies to the editors. They will review shareware every now and then -- there is a review of Spiderweb''s Geneforge in the latest issue of CGW, for instance.

In your case, just drop them an email with a link to your game. If they happen to play it, and like it, you''ll get a blurb. If not, no harm done. It''s that simple.
Geneforge was also mentioned in the last two issues of PC Gamer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement