🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone worked on games in Japan before?

Started by
2 comments, last by HoozitWhatzit 21 years, 11 months ago
I''m curious about something--I''ve been checking these forums for several months now, and I''ve noticed posts from various locations around the globe. I would imagine that more than a few of the people in these forums are living as expatriates in one country or another working at game development companies. My question is: has anyone in these forums ever done game development in Japan? I mean, it certainly does have one of the world''s largest videogame industries. If so, I would love to hear about your work experiences there. I''m considering applying for game development jobs with companies in Japan, but before doing so I''d like to hear if anyone else has done so in the past. Please share your experiences! Thanks! --Hoozit.
----------------------Check out my game demo and resume at www.fivestory.com/projects/game.
Advertisement
All I''ve heard is that the pay is INSANELY low. Like, minimum wage level here, especially for starting employees.
I have not. However, I recommend you become extremely fluent in the language, as even though no Japanese would ever contradict you on your grammar/pronunciation (an ingrained trait of politeness) you may be misunderstood. Also, learning the culture is key, too. For example, an anecdote I read once:

A businessman had specially-printed business cards made for a trip to Japan. However, when at the conference table, he made the mistake of dealing them out like a deck of cards. The proper way to present anything to someone in Japan is at least a slight bow, with the gift in both hands (or one if it is small, with the other hand hovering nearby).

That sort of thing is critical. And the wages /are/ low, so I''ve heard.
Sqeek.
Wow, two Anonymous(e) Posters. Thanks for the tips, APs.

As far as language fluency goes, I am fairly fluent in Japanese, having spent a year at Hiroshima University back in ''97 and studied Japanese in college. Also, my fiancee is from Tokyo, so she keeps me on my toes with the language skills.

I can vouch for the need for cultural sensitivity there since, as you pointed out, many everyday customs are done differently there.

The salary point is a helpful eye-opener. Thanks again.

--Hoozit.
----------------------Check out my game demo and resume at www.fivestory.com/projects/game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement