🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Webhost --- Speed

Started by
16 comments, last by MidSyn 21 years, 11 months ago
I''m using IE 6.0

I just tried it again and it seems to be going fast now. Maybe it was just a freak thing

If I had my way, I''d have all of you shot! codeka.com - Just click it.

Advertisement
Grumble grumble... just checked with my brother, he has the same things as me, and lives on the other side of the continent (NY). Traceroute doesn''t show anything abnormal.

Maybe the ''net doesn''t like my family?

------------------------------http://www.midnightsynergy.com
Maby you should stop using Mozilla?
Ironside...not that I would use anything but IE, but don''t you think you might be a little biased?

Anyway, I just tried accessing your page from work. Here is the thing. The first time I went to it with IE it took 16 seconds to load. If I then closed IE, cleared its cache and everything, every time after that it took about 1 second to load. I then went to all the other browsers and they took about a second to load too.

I dont think this is a browser issue like I suggested. One of 3 things is probably happening.

One could be that your web server''s hard drive is slow or the system is thrashing it. The first time you request a script thats not already in memory it takes a long time for it to get into memory. Once its in memory it executes quickly. I don''t think this is the situation because other scripts on your site load load much quicker (although the server could be precaching them).

The second possibility is that the server is SO underused that it actually goes into power saving mode and puts the hard drives to sleep. When it receives a request, 20 seconds sounds like a normal time to wake from a sleep. If this site is on a commercial webhost, its unlikely that powersaving would be enabled, but who knows who they have running the servers.

The third possibility is that there is a web cache somewhere between here and there. The web cache may be slow to respond if the file isnt already in the cache. The caching could be done at the web host, at your ISP, or by someone in between. Here at work (a university), we have a 3 layered cache system. We host our own cache, which cascades into out ISPs cache, which cascades into a 3rd cache (don''t know who the 3rd one belongs to).

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Coming July 2002
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Loads instantly for me. ADSL 768kb/s, Mozilla, Linux. Say again, Ironside?
Thanks again for all the replies... especially LordKronos - I will see if I can figure out if any of your suggestions apply. BTW, looking forward to seeing more about Miko & Molly.
------------------------------http://www.midnightsynergy.com
quote: Original post by MidSyn
BTW, looking forward to seeing more about Miko & Molly.

Im working on getting up a site tonight (crossing fingers). Keep an eye on the Announcements forum, as I will be posting there soon (probably tomorrow).

P.S. I just tried your site again. This time I loaded it in Mozilla first and it took 18 seconds. Refreshed it and it reloaded immediately. I then tried other browsers and they all came up instantly. I'm really suspicious of a powersaving mode.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

[edited by - LordKronos on July 31, 2002 2:59:35 PM]
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
quote: Original post by LordKronos
Ironside...not that I would use anything but IE, but don''t you think you might be a little biased?

Me? biased towards Msft products? Never!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement