🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using patches instead of reg codes...

Started by
4 comments, last by Ibuku 21 years, 11 months ago
I had the idea, since doing registration codes are annoying, what about this... User downloads the demo version of your game... They decide to purchase your game... You email them an expiring link to a download of the ''full version'' patch They patch their demo version and it becomes full version with all things updated to full version. Sound good? Ibuku weaponstudios.com
Advertisement
But then they can just post that patch on the internet, you would need someway to make that patch only work for that one user.
"...."
The patch itself will promptly be redistributed.

Documents [ GDNet | MSDN | STL | OpenGL | Formats | RTFM | Asking Smart Questions ]
C++ Stuff [ MinGW | Loki | SDL | Boost. | STLport | FLTK | ACCU Recommended Books ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I have seen games and software that do this already.

It does prevent people from cracking the registration code, however it doesnt'' stop people from sharing the patch. It also would use a large amount more bandwidth, which could mean a lot of money if the game had a lot of copies bought.

As to if its a good idea or not, I don''t know.
Shoot Pixels Not People
On the other hand...keycodes offer the exact same security...

1) A generic serial (which MANY programs/games use) can be posted on the net so that anyone can simply copy and paste this into their program.

2) A name generated unique key is the same way. Just post the name used and the serial used and anyone can copy and paste. Who cares that it is liscened to John Jim? You got it for free..and didnt even have to download anything.

3) Atleast a patch requires some downloading...and then that warez fiend has to find web space to post it to, since the link expires, etc. etc. it sounds MUCH more inconvience to post a patch.exe than a simple serial # that anyone can use at anytime.

If you can tell me why its harder for key code, then please do! Im trying to find the best way (and cheapest, with the development toolkit I used to make my game, I have to use reg software that makes the codes for me..which costs $100..so a patch would be alot cheaper for me - free)

Thanks guys.
Ibuku, Simple fix would be not to use a single key code or not to use a unique key code based on the name that the user enters.

Honestly, it isn''t that hard to create a Unique "lock" based off either the time it was installed, or possibly something like the CD-KEY for windows. Then once you make that unique lock, encrypt it for extra security and use a key that is longer than 10 bytes/characters.

Or to stop them from "cracking" the *.exe, maybe put some CRC in. There are *numerous* ways to slow them down. Those 2 methods you mentioned could be cracked by every Tom, Dick, and Harry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement