🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What are my chances?

Started by
0 comments, last by bu22 21 years, 11 months ago
I''ve been writing business/system software for a few years now in London (UK). I''ve had lots of experience working in a sofware development team, source-control, project planning etc.. I''d like to change my career in a year or so and try life as a game-developer. Assuming that I have good knowledge of the usual things (C/C++, networking, 3D engine coding, nice demo etc), would I have as good a chance as anyone else applying for the same jobs? Would my age (29) be taken into consideration? Thanks for any info! Regards James
RegardsJames
Advertisement
Hmm, well I can''t exactly speak for the software development community in England, here in the US you''d have just as good a shot as anyone else, probably better. While some developers like to hire people fresh out of college or who are self taught so the developer can mold them into the person that they need, others prefer experience. With experience can come some annoying traits (like strange naming conventions, very little design or documentation skills) but experience should not hurt you. If anything, it should help you.

You''ve been in the software industry for several years, and so long as you have learned or are willing to learn about the aforementioned C/C++, networking, 3D engine coding, etc then you should be fine. Good luck!

Looking for an honest video game publisher? Visit www.gamethoughts.com
Shameless plug: Game Thoughts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement