🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

IP's and Patents

Started by
5 comments, last by Themonkster 21 years, 11 months ago
Hi guys, Anyone know off a good side about software patents and or a list of current ones. A site that is''nt overly legal in it''s explaining would be cool. Basically I have a very cool piece of code(well concept as well) which could be oh so very useful to everyone. just need to do some research on patenting it before I tell the world about it. thanks
Advertisement
Hard luck - the UK (thankfully, in my opinion) doesn''t recognise software patents. So I''m free to use your algorithm whether you patent it in the US or not. A bit of code can''t be patented anyway, although it is covered by copyright.

A list of current patents would go on forever. There are probably tens of thousands in software alone. And they are all worded very carefully for legal reasons, so you''re unlikely to be able to browse through them to see what you want. Big companies employ people especially to research these things, as it''s not a trivial undertaking.

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost | Asking Questions | Organising code files ]
oh well I might just sell it as a package to business''s.
Just worried about the evil empire of MS.
it''s already copyrighted just wondering whats involved in patants really.
I suppose it''s an IP anyway.
another quick question ? if code can''t be patented how come software can?
Software isn''t patented, it''s copyrighted. That means nobody can sell your software, but they can make a program that does the same thing and sell it.
1. As FenixDown says, software is covered by copyright. Ideas & methods are covered by patents.

2. While the UK might not fully acknowledge software patents (yet...), if as a UK developer you violated say a US patent, you wouldn''t be able to sell your product in the US without being sued. Pretty big limitation of your market!.

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

cheers guys
I have idea of what to do now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement