🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Freeware, Addware, Shareware or Full Version?

Started by
5 comments, last by Jai Shaw 21 years, 11 months ago
Well Dreamstars 2 and Dreamstars 3 have finally been released and already I''m running into problems! Let me just quickly rehash my marketing model before I tell you the reason I''m so mad I released DS1 last year. It was a totally freeware game. It got good reveiws ect... I decided that if I wanted to sell the next version I''d need to add a heap of extra features than the freeware version had. I also decided it would be nice to re-release the freeware version with all the nice engine work and with some extra features as well. Since I was going to release both versions at the same time I decided to make users of the new freeware version (DS2) aware that I had a new version with lots of groovy features(DS3). I went to heaps of trouble to try and make sure that DS2 wouldn''t fall into the shareware catagory since I didn''t want to upset people that already had a copy of DS1. So the first freeware site I submit DS2 to says "We only accept freeware games!" Arrg... If DS2 was going to be shareware I would have used all those neat maketing tools that shareware authors use to ensure sales! I would have crippled it and or time limited it. I would have put up annoying nag windows and lots of buttons that said "Buy now". Is it such a crime to mention an expanded feature version of a game, an addon, inside the game itself? If someone gave you a free version of diablo 2 would you say, na this isn''t a free version, see it advertises the expansion pack... What do you guys think? Is Dreamstars 2 freeware or am I just trying to rip people off by mentioning that an expansion is available to an already complete and awesome free game. Maybe it''s addware despite the fact I''m making no money directly from the adds? Damn all freeware purist reviewer scum I just hope I don''t have to go through this argument with every one of my submissions -------------------------- Jai Shaw Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?! http://icarusindie.com/Dreamstars
--------------------------Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?!http://dreamstars.jaishaw.com
Advertisement
DS2 is ofcourse a freeware game. I mean if users get to play it without any limitations then I think there should be no problem to anyone. At least for me.

If a developer wants to bring attention to his other games....I don''t think there is any problem in that for users. Those who want to buy will buy....others will keep playing free version.

Harish Save
http://www.harishsave.com
Harish Savewww. H A R I S H S A V E . COM
Look at it from your customers'' point of view. They play the game and get an ad for a version that has more features than the one they''re currently playing...sounds like shareware, right?

Now, putting a blurb in your game mentioning your website where they could get other games you made would be fine, IMO.
Hmm you may be right but I always thought the definitions where fairly clear:

Shareware: Limited usage, either crippled or time limited or both that can usually be unlocked with a reg key.

Adware: Game that generates revenue for the developer through in game advertising.

Freeware: Complete game that is free.

Funny thing is I could give them DS 1.11 which would absolutly fit into the freeware catagory but why would they want that version when DS2 is a 10 times better product and is still free?

Of course it''s better to give them 1.11 than nothing at all so I''ll do that if I have to...

And I agree it does look a little like shareware WHEN you compare it to DS3. I still think it isn''t though as it is complete in itself and not at all crippled. Why can''t people just accept a good thing?

--------------------------
Jai Shaw
Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?!
http://icarusindie.com/Dreamstars
--------------------------Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?!http://dreamstars.jaishaw.com
I have a free game with ads - Saucer Attack. Some sites have it as freeware, only a very small number get huffy about the ads, so they dont list it, but I dont care about that.
Some website admins like to wield some power now and then, They are normally 13 year old kids living on dads pocket money who reckon everything should be free man! just like linux.
Im sure in 10 years time when they have to work for a living they will change their purist approach to freeware!
In the meantime ignore the sites that wont list your game and submit to all the others, there are plenty of them.

http://www.positech.co.uk

quote: Original post by Jai Shaw
Hmm you may be right but I always thought the definitions where fairly clear:

Shareware: Limited usage, either crippled or time limited or both that can usually be unlocked with a reg key.

Actually, I read somewhere that Shareware is not supposed to be crippled. It''s supposed to give you the full experience of the product, and generally be time limited. With games I think doing stuff like not adding all the levels is not crippling since the customer can still get the full experience of the game with the levels provided. But crippling features is probably not a good idea. Not so much because it goes against that shareware thing, but it makes sense since you want the customer to see exactly what they''ll be getting when they buy. After all, when you buy a new TV they don''t say "well this is what the picture looks like, you''ll get to hear the sound when you buy it."

Well, if it were me I would not have released DS2 as adware and then gone to DS3 for shareware. I would have released them both as together as shareware.

People are always going to complain when they have to pay for something (myself included), but hey that''s life. The dot.com "I made a cool product and am giving it away for free" era is over, if you want digital content you got to fork out the cash. Take a look at cnn.com they now charge for all their movie archives, or nascar.com they charge for their "racecast" or the number of magazines that now charge to look at the online content.

There is nothing wrong with expecting to receive compensation for your work. You should not feel ashamed about it. If some little freeware site complains that''s too bad.

If you''re doing this as a business, it has to make money. So unless you have a very good reason to give something away (a promotion perhaps). One person paying for your software is better than 100 using it for free.

Good luck,
- James

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement