🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

AVOID this web hosting company

Started by
10 comments, last by cliffski 21 years, 10 months ago
www.webaxxs.net. If you check my URL you will see my site is down, and all the tech support people seem to be tucked up in bed. Well its 9AM here in the UK and thats no good to me. I really would avoid this bunch of muppets if I was you, when you make money from sharewrae, you can''t have your site go down, its highly unprofessional. Does anyone know a reliable web hosting service? http://www.positech.co.uk
Advertisement
http://www.netweaver.com

They've been pretty reliable. I wouldn't say 100%, but on the rare occasions when there's been a problem they've always been prompt in dealing with it, and the tech support do fill you in on what they're doing to fix it. It's good value too, and based in the UK, which is a plus.

[edited by - benjamin bunny on August 9, 2002 4:33:32 AM]

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

Sometimes they can seem a tad expensive compared to other hosts, but try www.easyhosts.com

I''ve never had a problem with them yet and I''ve been with them for well over a year now. You get stuff like icq support (generally in a less than an hour or two if they are offline at the time) and also the fact that they are based in the UK is a plus!

They''ve even now introduced a cost calculator so you might as well try it out to get a quick quote compared to other hosts.

Philip Lutas
Optical Realities
Philip LutasMy site of randomness
Wow, I almost signed up with webaxxs after you recommended them. I emailed them several times about their services and got very good responses from their support team. My only problem with them was that they had a bandwidth limit cap and once you reached it, they said they would cut you off. I would rather get charged a reasonable rate per GB extra than get cut off.

I was contacted privately by John Nessen from Dewahost (dewahost.com). He saw me asking questions about hosting in the ASP newsgroups and emailed me to let me know about their services. They seem to have some good plans from top to bottom. John offered me a 14-day trial, so I took him up on the offer. Over those 2 weeks I was very happy with their support. I had a lot of special requests and they were pretty flexible on most everything. They almost always responded within about 6 hours (there was one message that took over a day to get a response to, but it was a small request so I wasn''t bothered). I''m not sure whether or not they have 24 hour monintoring and support.

Including my trial I''ve been with them almost a month. I know thats not nearly enough time to do a full evaluation, but I am happy so far. Thought it might be useful.

P.S. Your site is back up now, if it''s any consolation.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
By the way, I''m not sure if you know or not, but webaxxs is appearantly a reseller. I noticed it when I tried to use the online control panel demo. I noticed the demo was running on a different domain, so I tried going to the root of that domain and found a completely different company offering the same plans. In the future, should you decide not to switch and have a similar problem, perhaps you could bypass them and get directy to the actual host''s support team.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Cliff, try www.0setupfees.com ... Better support i ever got, 3 minutes was the longest time i had to wait for a reply (it was a while ago, havent contacted support in a year or so) but it was fantastic, thye not very expensive (250mg, unlimited traffic with rules (bla bla bla [insert stuff here] bla bla bla), most services (ASP, PHP, MySQL), and only 15 bucks a month, they also have other plans with more stuff
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
Thanks for your responses. In fairness I must say the webaxxs are miles better than my old host (DEMON). My site was down for a few hours, they answered the phone in the end, said they were moving some servers and I should fo got an email from them (I didn''t). I might try jumping ship to one of the other suggested providers, although I like the reporting tools you get with webaxxs.
Oh well, back to coding my games i guess!

http://www.positech.co.uk

I pay $5/month for hosting (200mb/4gb transfer/etc.) and theres no setup or an annual contract. (www.cheaphostonline.com)

If your fine with an annual contract, I suggest www.featureprice.com with plans for $5 and up (they are a fast host).

So dont pay $15+ for hosting unless you REALLY need it and its a good host!

Ibuku
weaponstudios.com
I just looked at featureprice, and their AUP says you are limited to 15GB / month. They also say you are trottled to 171,000,000 bits/hour. Not sure how they work the system exactly, but that comes out to only 6KB/sec (which would be unbarable for cable modem users) and only 21MB per hour (could be a problem if you get a short burst of downloads).

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
I use www.dzones.net they're pretty good. Right now they're having a "special promotion" too, for the whole month. As far as bandwidth goes, you can get up to 15 GB, and if you go over they charge $7 per gig. They have lots of features too, like pointing a domain name to a folder so you can host multiple domains on the same account. They'll even split your account resources into multiple control panels if you want (for each domain name). And they also upgrade the plans once in a while. To get the new features I just had to email them and ask, and they moved me to a new server. Support is pretty good, they respond within 24 hours.

[edited by - FenixDown on August 9, 2002 2:00:48 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement