🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where will you get the money for your business?

Started by
10 comments, last by coriolis666 21 years, 10 months ago
I love the video game industry alot. I''m going to sell all of my old video game systems and computers. Not only that but I''ll get some money from the insurance company when my parents pass away(they''re old now, their time is soon).
Advertisement
You are a heartless bastard.
agreed.
lol. you know you''re all thinking the same thing.
Not the good thing man. Don''t make your empire on the false base. One day you''ll fall.

Harish Save
www.harishsave.com
Harish Savewww. H A R I S H S A V E . COM
Maybe this is a pretty far fetched way of doing things but most companies start their company with a product.

Anything you spend money on that isn''t directly related to producing your project is a giant waste of money.

My current product is currently costing me $0 to produce and will have cost $0 to produce when it''s finished.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
whats your product, breath?
Lucas Henekswww.ionforge.com
This thread is funny. I sold all my old computers recently and the total fetched came to $275 (3 computers!). Not exactly enough to start a business on. But I''m doing it anyway. My next strategy is to borrow money from Ironside, who is gainfully employed.
"whats your product, breath?"

Last I checked, the developement cost of Linux was $0.

Does it cost you money to sit down for 3-5 hours a day to code? Am I required to pay myself? When it's done then hopefully it'll be good enough to make money for me. In the mean time I have a tech job pulling in money.

All a product costs is time. Unless you're incapable of doing the project yourself and/or have no friends who are willing to help you out. If only costs money if people demand money or if you waste it.

I didn't buy my computers for this project. I didn't buy the compiler for this project. I didn't buy anything for it. I had everything I needed already.

The only project I have that could be seen as costing me money is IcarusIndie.com but then I need the internet connection anyway. There's no development cost for anything I've put on it.

There's never a reason to spend money on a "company." It cost me less than $100 for Icarus Independent to be registered with the city and state. I'll get that back and more come tax time when I write my internet connection off and my server computer. It'd be pretty stupid to rent an office to throw the server in when my room works just as well for free.

It's pretty silly to risk an inhertiance better saved for retirement and everything else when you could do just as well be paying your rent and working at home in your free time while collecting money from someone else you work for.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]

[edited by - KalvinB on August 14, 2002 6:34:48 AM]
Well, some are cheap, aren''t they?

When we started THONA Consulting it was a 0 money start, too - just starting with aroune 18.000 USD a month revenue from consulting :-) Now, around 1.5 years later we have build out staff, are finishing the first customer''s product and are in general on the way of the first expansion wave :-) We invested around 40.000 EUR in the first three months or computers, software etc. - I mean, frankly, what infrastructure do you guys work under? We are right now pushing out another 40.000 EUR budget to upgrade our development server network :-)

There are multiple ways to start companies. ALL involve having money - or either ervenue or the will to sacrifice your own free time :-)

Regards

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
RegardsThomas TomiczekTHONA Consulting Ltd.(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement