🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How many levels should a typical 2D action game have?

Started by
3 comments, last by Mman 21 years, 10 months ago
I''ve been at my game for quite some time now, and I''ve finished 30 levles. My question is, is that enough? They aren''t long, but they are not easy either. I have the good ''ol fashion system of "you must beat the first level to go to the second", and because you can only save after every 3 levels it''s difficult to beat the game fast. Although Dexterity Software has been releasing some games with 100+ levles! But those are puzzle games. Mr.Pavlina, do your older Arcade shooter games still sell well? From what I understand they have much fewer levels than your puzzle games.
Advertisement
Well in it''s initial incarnation Dweep only had 30 levels. It was later that the expansion packs were made and it was re-branded dweep gold. I think 30 levels is a very respectible amount. You can add tons of levels later as an expansion pack if there is market justification for it.
Just write a perfect AI code which can generate unlimited random levels every time. So you don''t have to hard code them.

Harish Save
www.harishsave.com
Harish Savewww. H A R I S H S A V E . COM
hehe like Ikari warriors? hmm

I like the concept of Contra better, 8 levels, but each one is sooo totally different =) including the ever so cool top down levels which they took out for the GBA version
quote: Original post by harishjs
Just write a perfect AI code which can generate unlimited random levels every time. So you don''t have to hard code them.

Harish Save
www.harishsave.com

Impossible for my game, my levels are quite different from one another.

That''s what I''ll probably do Ironside, thanks. I want to submit my game to Dexterity Software, I just hope they don''t turn it down because of lack of levels.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement