🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

protecting free games

Started by
5 comments, last by billybob 21 years, 10 months ago
me and a friend are working on a first person shooter game, i''m 15, hes 16. i''m coding, hes doing graphics. i want to use this game as a showcase type thing, but i want it to be free. (damn software you have to pay for ) the only thing that worries me is someone claiming they made it, but being dumb 15 year olds not willing to take the time for copyrights and trademarks and crap. it probably won''t be good enough to claim it was yours (most likely rather embarrassing, but still) my parents don''t even want me to put it on the internet thinking that the first person to come along will add it to his collection of games hes made. i guess i have a few questions. how much are copyrights, do we need any paperwork garbage, and whats the likelyhood of someone ripping it off(i think its slim to none, but my parents don''t seem to think so)
Advertisement
You''re too young to be paranoid. Wait til the government is taking 40% of your paycheck.

As long as you don''t have the source code it doesn''t matter if people claim it''s theirs. It''s the experience you gain from doing the project that matters. They get nothing out of it by hex editing their name into the EXE.

There are two reasons to make games
1) experience
2) profit

You''re at stage one and your need for publicity out weighs any risk of having it stolen which is an incredibly unlikely occurance even for high profile free games like Soldat.

By the time you have a community making it tempting to steal your product, you have a community looking out for you. Soldat is free. I could put my name in it. But people would know I didn''t actually make it and I wouldn''t get too far and the reprecutions would be substantial.

Ben

IcarusIndie.com [ The Rabbit Hole | The Labyrinth | DevZone | Gang Wars | The Wall | Hosting | Dot Com | GameShot ]
That response sounds vaguely familiar...de ja vu?

I agree though, theres no need to worry about someone stealing your game and claiming it as there - I haven''t even heard of a case that like.
Just throw in alot of your own logos, names, etc. if you are that worried.
So have fun!

Ibuku
weaponstudios.com
thats what i thought. i want to avoid lots of logos (mainly because i don''t have one ) and if i do it will be a startup screen that is skippable. i hate games that force you to look at their logo for 10 seconds
It´s very unlikely that you´ll get your work stolen... If you are so worried with it... www.gnu.org

Anyway, if you start making games, and you make a name with it, it won´t matter if someone edits your file in order to claim it for himself.

Mac for productivity
Linux for development
Palm for mobility
Windows... for the Solitaire
Ciro Durán :: My site :: gamedev.net :: AGS Forums
You could make the game leave a log file saying at the top who it''s by. You could hack in and change this, but who''s gonna care? If you want to show it to game companies just make sure you keep a copy of the source.

Read about my game, project #1
NEW (13th August): A new screenshot is up, plus diaries for week #3

John 3:16
Make a demo first with 1 level. Put up a website with screen shots and a forum, announce your demo.

Release it a few months later, after people have played the demo and commented it. If you''re lucky, www.download.com or fileplanet will have picked it up. Then you have a history, and nobody can claim it''s his.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement