🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Work week

Started by
16 comments, last by IronWolf 21 years, 10 months ago
and to answer the original question, you can probably expect an average 40-45 hour week, with substantially more at crunch times, maybe some weekends, occasional working till midnight.
Thats my experience of 1 medium size Devco, although we had an unusally organised producer. (cheers Suvs!).

http://www.positech.co.uk

Advertisement
Not a criticism or complaint, just an observation:

That also ultimately makes it hard on the programmers, if they realize their business doesn''t take good care of them in that fashion. So then they are faced with looking for other work that will last who knows how long, and who knows if the problem will be better handled or worse at the new workplace.

Free enterprise... ain''t it a female dog.
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.
My dev team, when they aren''t in the middle of crunch, works between 40-50 hours a week. During crunch, it can be much higher...as much as 80 hours a week.

I work as a test lead, and during a dev cycle, I usually keep the same hours as my devs, but during the last 12-16 weeks of a project, I basically move in. On a past project, I worked a 72-hour shift during the RC process, and have vowed never to do that again.

Also, some people think that a good schedule/producer/lead can prevent massive amounts of hours. In my experience, those things can help reduce the amount of hours, but you''ll still need to work fairly long hours...and as far as expenses go, it doesn''t really matter to most companies, as devs in most companies are salaried.

RomSteady - Able to leap off tall buildings in a single bound
Michael Russell / QA Manager, Ritual EntertainmentI used to play SimCity on a 1:1 scale.
quote: Original post by RomSteady
My dev team...I work as a test lead ... I worked a 72-hour shift during the RC process

You must work for Microsoft. I doubt many other game companies have dev and test teams + leads and talk about Release Candidates.

Nope; most devs over a given size (usually when they have more than one team) will have a dedicated testing-team (sometimes hired and fired, more often a dedicated lead with a lot of part-timers for crunch).

Whether you cold it RC or Gold Candidate doesn''t matter; it''s all semantics anyways =)

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Yeah the point is he used all the same semantics/nomenclature that MS uses. It could be coincidence, I was just curious because I worked there for 2 years allways interesting to mee other people who have a simmilar backgorund.
I''ve read several books about MS'' product development. I guess when you are on that scale of development with millions of lines of code and millions of dollars relying on each product, then its understandable. I am not a full time programmer, but I work about 5 hours a day developing software (at my second job) and maybe 3 hours on my own projects.

I guess it all depends if you are the owner of the company, ie. sole partner with a few lackies then you are going to be putting in 12 hour days, but you may land a 9-5, and a bit more during crunch time, also I guess it also depends on the position in the company, a tester and a lead programmer are going to have vastly different hours.
TENZERO SOFTWARE

TRY OUT URL History, ediitng the IE address bar has never been this easy!

Well since I have been looking for a job over the last couple of weeks I have found one out of about 10 or so that has specifically stated that they are looking for someone who is "Willing to work extra hours."

But I can imagine that for every one that says is explicitly there are a few that expect it.

Obviously not every company is the same and as someone seeking work you need to be a little picky even when you feel you''re the one that is in the position of less power.

Be confident in your ablilities and don''t let anyone rope you into the kind of job that you don''t want to do.

--------------------------
Jai Shaw
Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?!
http://icarusindie.com/Dreamstars
--------------------------Dreamstars 3: A space combat game with depth?!http://dreamstars.jaishaw.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement