🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Couple of Legal Questions?

Started by
4 comments, last by ps2insight 21 years, 10 months ago
Is there a list of military names that are copyrighted? If not does anyone know if name like, Navy Seal Team 6 SAS L.A. SWAT Al Quida Hamas Army Rangers Names like that are copyrighted? Basically I am building a mod and I wanted to do is use names of some of the biggest world special forces groups and terrorists. I was also wonder if weapons have the same type of copyright if any.
Advertisement
Weapons - Read the thread "Real World Weapons - How to avoid legal issues" from a few days ago.

Names - using the names will be fine. If you start using copies of regimental insignia then you might get into trouble IF anyone could be bothered. If this is a free mod then I doubt anyone will bother. The CS guys used real guns etc in their mod and only changed the names when they did the commercial release (the publisher almost certainly made them do that).

Of course when the people involved are the SAS, Al Qaeda, Navy Seals and Hamas I don''t think it is a visit from their lawyers you need to be worried about

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Do you REALLY want to be involved in a trademark dispute with Al Quaida ? Never mind the legalities of it, man.. that''s the least of your worries

Allan

Fe doeyr, Frender Doeyr,Ein sjoelv doeyr paa sama vis.
Eg veit et som aldri doeyr, dom over kvar ein doed.
Cattle die, Friends die, You yourself will also die.
I know something that never dies, the memory of every dead.
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Which reminds me to strongly suggest that you and everyone that is publishing ANYTHING on the internet:

1) get a P.O. box and ONLY use this P.O. box address (including domain registering)

2) do not open any suspicious mail. If in doubt send it back, if no sender address is on it dump it in the trashcan.

3) inform all people around you that could get in contact with your mail about 2)

I am a european developer and got a nice letter with some sand-like stuff in it - way before the 11th September. Never opened it, but it couldn''t have been anything nice - could it?
Something sandlike in your mail? You threw it away? Gah, what if it was FREE DRUGS?
/ Martin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement