🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

price quote

Started by
9 comments, last by ao 24 years, 2 months ago
Hello, I have received an offer from a company to program a Java based Darts game. The game design doc has been provided as well as the art work. I estimate it should take about a week to complete. I was wondering what pay amount I should ask for??? P.S - I''m in Canada, so please quote in Canadian or USA funds. ao
Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com
Advertisement
25-50$(US) per hour

calculate the hours involved and u got an estimate !
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
whoa... 25$ an hour? I don''t even consult for less than 60. I would start at $50 an hour and go from there.

Bworks.Com
These seem like two completely different price ranges here... what the dilly hole. Is there that much variation in pay??? Or is someone yanking my chain.
Play free Java games at: www.infinitepixels.com
I''m thinking the figures currently quoted are way too high unless you''re some hot-shot, in which case you probably wouldn''t be programming darts games in java except as something to do on your lunch break. I''d guess $25/hr would be an upper bound given what you''re doing. Over here at least, consultancy pays way more than programming so it''s not surprising that someone might get $60/hr to be a consultant but way less than $25/hr to program. But you do want to aim high and haggle downwards if necessary
a company designed to provide custom programming/software usually takes $40/h (USD) for programming (not sure about the artists ratio) at the moment I take $30/h + 33% if desired to be ''express'' service
It's good to be an outcast, you don't need to explain what you do, you just do it and say you don't belong there.
Well, I ain''t blowing smoke up anyones a$$. I do charge 60 and up and hour for consultantion, and I get $40 and up and hour to program. However, this is not games programming, it is DBMS programming, so I dunno what, per se, the games industry finds as a happy medium.

Personally, I find $25 to program anything way to cheap. But it does depend upon your expereince and quality of work.

Bworks.Com
Joviex isn''t the only one who charges in that region; the company I work for charges $50/hour for a consultant to look at more mundane issues, and $60/hour for certain complex issues. When I get a programming job, it is usually rated at around $50 per billable hour, although exactly what is billable can vary by project sometimes. That rate has held true for several types of programming, including ones for a website.
I do grunt programming (mostly bug fixes and the like) for my company. I don't have a degree, and have only been programming *professionally* for several years now. My company is known to have *low* salaries, and I get paid about $25/hour. I figure I'm at the bottom of the programming pay range....

PS: What your *company* charges doesn't necessarily mean much... I was getting $20/hour at my last job, and they charged our clients $1000/day or $125/hour for my services...

Edited by - novalis on 4/11/00 1:53:36 PM
If a man is talking in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
A lot of you don''t have a a Country or Area listed as to where your coming from. Well I''m from Canada too and have been told that canadian programmer get paid a LOT less up hear. Many canadian programmers are moving down to Seatle to program. Simple because there wages will double or triple for the same quality work and it''s in US dollars instead of Canadian. So if people are being paid $45 US expect to get a max of $25 CAN per hour.

So I''d probably offer at $30 or $35 per hour and expect to go down to 30 or maybe even 25. You may also want to try to calculate how many hours it''ll take you, then try to sell it to them at a flat rate $300 or something (How long can a dart game take to make?)

Anyhow you may want to find some more canadian input.
Hope this helped some!
See ya,
Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement