🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Real Bad News.

Started by
14 comments, last by Marsc 21 years, 9 months ago
I''ve received a newsletter from cnet, they say that they will charge $99 for each publishing in Download.com and Zdnet. Well... I just knew it, I don''t know what to say
Advertisement
I haven''t considered either downloads.com or zdnet significant since May, 2001. They''re worth being listed on, but not too much more so than any other shareware site. Certainly not $99 more.

I didn''t read the email they sent me the other day (old habit I have, deleting unsolicited email), so I don''t know for certain that they *are* charging $99 for listings now. But if they are, then they''ve put the cart in front of the horse. Specifically, they are a site based on content, and now they''re *charging* their content providers to be listed. I don''t see that being a very successful business plan.

So skip the CNET sites altogether. Focus on the larger free sites, and especially on the sites that cater to your customers.

DavidRM
Samu Games
For what it''s worth, I never saw my sales climb after major downloads from Cnet. Even with positive reviews!

I did see an increase, but the turnover rate was much lower then from most other major download sites that I listed products on.

Michael Sikora
www.GuardianLightStudios.com

What download sites do you use to distribute shareware since CNET now charges $99?
quote: Original post by bob_the_third
What download sites do you use to distribute shareware since CNET now charges $99?

If you are asking me, I must tell you that I don''t know....
Of course, I guess, I will have to find some alternatives.
I will re-release my game "Impossiball" before 2002 ends.

I must reneuve impossiball.com before jan 31 ($15).
I must set up some good hosting (About $20).
No... Definetly I am not willing to invest $99 in Download.com
Not at least at the begining. without knowing how my game are going to sale.
Actually, my experience says that I will get those $99 back, But that could be a whole month of sales, I am not willing to work for free to maintain Cnet.

I was concidering to try dexterity, but the chances to be rejected are very high.

Well... In one word, if someone knows alternative sites and ways to distribute games, I would apretiate that...

(i started a similar thread on GD Lounge so if a Moderator wants to move those posts over here that would be fine.....)

you can charge a fee.
but a REASONABLE fee.
$49 then $99...
that''s ridiculous.
maybe if they had different levels.
like freeware $5-10, shareware $10-15, and trialware (which is most major companies) $49-$99.

maybe i''m making a mistake... because some companies (major corporations) do have shareware. some but not many.

but i think that''s a fair rate.
as opposed to $99 flat fee for everyone.
that''s crazy.

just my IMHO

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I agree and also fall into the "who cares?" category. Download.com doesn''t give me the sales to justify the "nominal" charge of $99, so there you go.

Oh well, maybe I can spend the $99 buying their domain next year when they''re out of business.

-M
I agree and also fall into the "who cares?" category. Download.com doesn''t give me the sales to justify the "nominal" charge of $99, so there you go.

Oh well, maybe I can spend the $99 buying their domain next year when they''re out of business.

-M
quote: Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
just my IMHO

just my In My Humble Opinion *g* (sorry, I couldn''t resist).

Well, I don''t think many people will pay 99$ for having their progs at download.com! So in just a few months, download.com will be a huge library of mostly not-up-to-date and hence uninteresting shareware and freeware.
They are digin their own grave... ah well, if you like it...

Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,
today we''re a step onward!
Yesterday we still stood at the verge of the abyss,today we're a step onward! Don't klick me!!!
No Doubt that Download.com is not on the right track. I hope they will continue to provide very basic listing service as Free.....because 90% of my game downloads come from Download.com, so its gonna hurt me BAD. Some people here says that there are other site which gives you same traffic as download.com, will someone tell me their URLs. I''ve search the google and submitted my games to every shareware listing site (those which were working at that time) and still download.com is still on top of my referer''s list.

Harish Save
www.harishsave.com
Harish Savewww. H A R I S H S A V E . COM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement