🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Torque engine licence

Started by
3 comments, last by McMcDonald 21 years, 9 months ago
Hi! Has anybody licenced the torque engine offered by garagegames.com for 100$ ? I understand the licence in the way that i can only publish my game through garagegames.com or using my own website. Reading the licence agreement i think it is allowed to publish demo versions of games made with the engine using download sites like tucows, download.com,... but it''s not allowed to publish games using companies like dexterity, realarcade, or one of the big publishers. What do you think about this offer ? Thanks McMc
----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
Advertisement
i think the new license allows you to sell the games with other publishers too. I am not sure, but check it out.

Everyone Wants to goto heaven, but no one wants to die!!!
Everyone Wants to goto heaven, but no one wants to die!!!
Yes, i think too.

But they have a limit of $500.000:

Licence agreement:
3. (b) Licensee may not use the Software in whole or in part to create products for competing game publishing companies, commercial websites, or any other commercial or non-commercial entity, whether public or private if the sum of the annual revenue of the Licensee and publishing entity exceeds $500,000, without obtaining a COMMERCIAL LICENSE from the Licensor.

... sum of the annual revenue of the Licensee and publishing entity exceeds $500,000 ...

Do you know the revenues of a publishing company like realarcade ?
I am sure i personally will never make more than $500,000 a year, but do i get this information from the publishing companies ?

Licence agreement:
2. (a) Licensee may publicly sell, distribute, release, publish and/or transmit any Games created hereunder or otherwise exploit the Software.

Does this mean that i can publish the software anywhere i want or only at garages website ? (English is not my native language - please help me understanding the sentence)

Thanks
McMc

----------------------------My sites:www.bytemaniac.com www.mobilegames.cc
It doesn''t seem clear from the contract wording, but I think the intent is that if the game generates $500,000 total revenue, then you need a commercial license. Of course, I would make sure to get that clarified in writing first.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Just an idea, might be a a strange concept but....

Why don''t you ask them (Garagegames). They are far more likely to know than we are.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement