🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to choose a name for your game/engine

Started by
3 comments, last by spiffgq 21 years, 8 months ago
How does one choose a name for one''s game or game engine? I want to know about the laws that govern that kind of thing (trademarks, copyrights, etc). What kind of legal hoops should one jump through to make sure their game''s name isn''t illegal? Thanks for the help.
SpiffGQ
Advertisement
A good start is to hit Google with the name and see if anything in the computing field uses the name. If it''s there, start again.

Essentially, if a company has the same or similar name, and the fields of operation are close enough that confusion could occur, then they have a case against you.

However, as an example: OGRE Building Contractors aren''t in a related field to the OGRE game engine, so there''s no dispute.

IANAL.

-Richard
-Richard
If this were a multi-million dollar project then I would suggest talking to a lawyer to get a proper trademark search done. If it isn't then just go ahead and pick a name that you do not think is being used (and isn't too similar to other names already out there).

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions

[edited by - obscure on October 30, 2002 4:48:21 AM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
quote: Original post by Obscure
If this were a multi-million dollar project then I would suggest talking to a lawyer to get a proper reademark search done. If it isn''t then just go ahead and pick a name that you do not think is being used (and isn''t too similar to other names already out there).

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions

It certainly isn''t a large-budget project. We''re just another group of guys who like to program and like to play computer games
SpiffGQ
Just think of something, do a search for it, and if you don''t find anything, use it.

Our last ISO game (ugg i hated Iso) used the Ploopy engine. Named after the artist''s cat.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement