🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Where to put lisence texts?

Started by
3 comments, last by stefu 21 years, 7 months ago
Hi, I''m using extgl extension loading library (and other libraries too), and I wand to distribute a game. This lisence came with extgl: <!–STARTSCRIPT–><BR><DIV CLASS=source><pre> Copyright © 2001-2002, Lev Povalahev All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, <font color="blue">this</font> list of conditions and the following disclaimer. * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, <font color="blue">this</font> list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. * The name of the author may be used to endorse or promote products derived from <font color="blue">this</font> software without specific prior written permission. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS <font color="darkred">"AS IS"</font> AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE. </pre></DIV><!–ENDSCRIPT–> So assume I''m distributing binary version, so this applies: * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation I use also few other libraries with similar lisence, so wher do I put all this stuff? Could someone who knows say it simply where do I put all these files? Or put them all in the end of README.txt file? Thanks, I just wan''tto do it the right way in respect for library writers. ———————– Now to my second question. I''d like to distribute two-player shipbattle linux game I wrote in a uni course. How can lisence my source code? IS it ok just to use similar lisence that extgl has above and put it to all source/header files and distribute with source? Thanks.
Advertisement
On most Linux progs I''ve seen (working from school memory...fuzzy...) just put it in a textfile labeled appropriately. Like, "EXTGL_LICENSE".

And yours should probably go in a file labeled similarly. "LICENSE"?
http://edropple.com
The answer is in the question....

* Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation

So put it in the manual or readme files or a License file as Ed suggests.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions

[edited by - obscure on November 28, 2002 9:40:51 AM]
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
*slaps himself*

I was right for once? Woohoo!
http://edropple.com
Ok,
it''s clear now

Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.