🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Protecting work

Started by
4 comments, last by atcdevil 21 years, 7 months ago
Myself, and a few others have been making a game, we are approaching its completion. As of right now I''m worried about protecting it from others stealing credit. I''m guessing this involves a copyright. But I also don''t want it to be in one person''s name, rather us a whole, or each individual having individual parts. Basically, I don''t want outsiders taking credit for it, or anyone of us to take more credit than we deserve. Any advice on what needs to be done, how much it''d cost, and the process for getting it done? - Andrew
Advertisement
One of you should file a DBA at the County Clerk''s office. This will run you an average of $20. Make a company name, check their records to make sure it''s not already taken, and file the paperwork. Then, just write ''Copyright so-and-so'' on it.

If you''re looking to sell it, you should put some sort of copy protection into the game before you distribute it. Otherwise, you could easily end up having it redistributed all over the place and you''ll never make money off of it because everyone will already have it for free.

Looking for an honest video game publisher? Visit www.gamethoughts.com
Shameless plug: Game Thoughts
Congratulations on the near completion of your project.

1) Re: Advice on what needs to be done. I can''t actually give you "advice" per se, because of professional ethical restrictions, except to say consult a lawyer. Many persons in your position shop around for a lawyers that will provide an hour free consultation, which in your case is about all the consultation you would need. This might save someone in your position money by only having to pay for the service of filing a copyright.

2) Re: what needs to be done. It sounds like you may be interested in a "Joint Work" or a "Collective Work." Yes, they are copyrights. I won''t bore you with the statutory citations, just say those magic words to an Attorney and they''ll advise you on how to file.

3) Re: Cost. To do it right, maybe $200, maybe more depending on the type of Attorney you consult (do not go to a big firm). To just do it $50 - $70.

4) Re: Process for getting it done. Several suggestions here; shop around on this site and gamasutra to find a law firms with a presence in this industry. http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/contractor_display.php?category=51
Location won''t matter since you are basically dealing with federal rights. You might want someone to check out your state law in order to ascertain how to protect the work''s trade secrets - but let the lawyer do talk to you about that.
OR . . . you can try and do it yourself by perusing the website of the copyright office http://www.loc.gov/copyright/.

I think its valiant that you guys are sticking together after nearly completing your project. IMO it shows a level of professionalism necessary to make it in the business world. If you have more specific questions you can email me @ ahill@loah.biz.

Hope this helps

Good luck to you and Happy Thanksgiving.
Questions about my post? You can email me at ahill@loah.biz.
Thanks a lot for the replies

Happy Thanksgiving
quote: Original post by mtaber
One of you should file a DBA at the County Clerk''s office.

Just a general note, but if you''re talking to someone who doesn''t know what you''re talking about, using abbreviations is a bad idea.

What''s a DBA?
Doing Business As, also called a legal alias or an assumed name.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement