🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to do effective publicity?

Started by
3 comments, last by Telmo_Amaro 21 years, 6 months ago
I have 2 games currently being distributed by Cingular and Handango and so far I haven''t been able to sell much even knowing there are more expensive games with lower quality that sold a lot. This makes me think, more people dont buy my games (for only $1.00) because they probably don''t know they are there. Anyway, I won''t try paying for banner publicity because I know that''s useless, these days nobody pays attention to banners. So, how can I get more attention to my products/website? Note: So far I added my site to all search engines I know, got link exchanges with all my friends and known game designers, announced the website/games in forums and two Portuguese game related websites post news about my products. Any ideas would be great... Telmo "Shyro" Amaro - codingdreams.xrs.net
- Telmo Amaro -
Advertisement
quote: I haven''t been able to sell much even knowing there are more expensive games with lower quality that sold a lot. This makes me think, more people dont buy my games (for only $1.00) because they probably don''t know they are there.

Remember that you indicate to consumers that your games are of lower quality than those of the competition when you give them a lower price. This first impression is hard to change even with a demo download since consumers that have already established your games to be cheap low-quality games by looking at the price will look more critically at your demo than the demos of normally priced products.

Dropping the price may work when the products are so expensive that most people can not afford them, but are mobile phone gamers really so cheap that a few bucks price difference will make them settle for a game that they percieve to be of lower quality than the normally priced games? Maybe they are thinking "I''ll spend $5 and get a good game instead" when they see your game on the site.
Yes, however if you go to the J2ME GameStore at wirelessgamingreview.com you''ll notice the games that sell the most at the ones at $1 to $1.5

Your opinion might be right, but if I for example launch my next game at 2 euros or 3, people might rather just pay the same for more known company games such as gameloft.com
I would rather risk a certain ammount of money on a Sega game than on a Treasure game. But if the Treasure game was cheaper, I would probably have a closer look at it before buying anything else. And I believe my site has enough info regarding my products...

Do you think placing demos of the games on the site would help?

thanks

Telmo "Shyro" Amaro

- Telmo Amaro -
Can I Make Money As An Indie

Edit: Fixed link.

[edited by - DavidRM on December 14, 2002 6:42:42 PM]
Well, there are certainly more things to sales than pricing. I just wanted to explain why low pricing might not lead to more sales since you mentioned pricing in your post. I don''t know the average price for J2ME games, but I did notice that the best selling apps at Handango, the site you say you are published by, cost about $2 - $15, and the best selling games seem to cost $3.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement