🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What do I needeth?

Started by
3 comments, last by Tiso 24 years, 1 month ago
What do I need to program a multiplayer game? Are there different kinds of tools to use? What are the better or best ones to use? Is it complicated? Well, I hope you can answer at least a few of these questions for me. Thanks!
Advertisement
First off, you need to learn WinSock (or its equivelent (sp?)). I found a great tutorial on it here on gamedev. Go to the resource section (programming) and then type neural net in the search box. Due to some messup with the search engine, 4 entries from the bottom will be on called Roll your own intranet. It is a very good tutorial on winsock.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons;

Yanroy@usa.com

Visit the ROAD Programming Website for more programming help.

--------------------

You are not a real programmer until you end all your sentences with semicolons; (c) 2000 ROAD Programming
You are unique. Just like everybody else.
"Mechanical engineers design weapons; civil engineers design targets."
"Sensitivity is adjustable, so you can set it to detect elephants and other small creatures." -- Product Description for a vibration sensor

Yanroy@usa.com

What about directplay?
Okay, winsock and direct play? What would be a few of winsock''s equivalents? Do I have to know one of those 2 languages?
WinSock and DPlay are not languages. You''ll program them both in C or C++, depending on which way you swing.

WinSock is quick ''n'' easy, DPlay is hard but (generally) more fool-proof.

When your wrapper is done you should end up with funtions looking like:

pNetwork->SendPacket(&p)
and
CSOMEPACKET p;
pNetwork->GetPacket(&p);
if (p.Score > 1000) {
you win!
}

Good luck!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement