🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

TNN video game awards not cool with Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences?

Started by
2 comments, last by GBGames 21 years, 5 months ago
I read http://www.suntimes.com/output/television/cst-ftr-tnn23.html> this today, and I was wondering about this quote:
quote: ''The game industry is not interested in supporting a show that honors games they don''t even have on the shelf anymore,'''' said Paul Provenzano, president of the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences.
Now, why not? I bought games like Dungeon Keeper 2 because I found out about it after it became a "classic" and was marketed as such. I don''t see why the AIAS should have a problem with honoring games that aren''t on the shelf anymore. Is it because this is an admittance that the awards are just another marketing tool? Or was the quote taken out of context? I personally see no reason why older games can''t be honored.
-------------------------GBGames' Blog: An Indie Game Developer's Somewhat Interesting ThoughtsStaff Reviewer for Game Tunnel
Advertisement
Who is this guy that he can speak on behalf of the games industry anyway?

[edited by - Davaris on December 28, 2002 7:29:12 PM]
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
He was formerly Vice President of Production and Development at Fox Interactive.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I don''t know whether it was taken out of context or not, but did you notice the paragraph right before that quote:

quote: But TNN''s show concept fails to impress one video-game trade group because it could end up spotlighting old titles around the holiday shopping season, when new games are being promoted.

So I don''t think they are saying that awards are just a promotional opportunity, but it could cause a mother to decide "oh this game got an award, it must be good...and its only $20 instead of $50. I''ll get Tommy this game". I suspect the awards show would get less resistance from them if it were to take place in January instead.

Ron Frazier
Kronos Software
www.kronos-software.com
Miko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension
Ron FrazierKronos Softwarewww.kronos-software.comMiko & Molly - Taking Puzzle Games to A Whole New Dimension

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement