🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Does Anyone Know if Sotware Patents are legal in Ireland?

Started by
2 comments, last by PurpleAmethyst 21 years, 5 months ago
This might be a silly question but does Anyone Know if Sotware Patents are legal in Ireland?
Advertisement
Well, if you mean can you obtain a software patent in Ireland then the answer is yes. Like just about every country now, however, they are costly and are getting harder to obtain for software.

Were you thinking about trying to obtain one or are you worried about infringing on one?

Questions about my post? You can email me at ahill@loah.biz.
Questions about my post? You can email me at ahill@loah.biz.
Although unlike Adam I''m not a lawyer, something I _think_ is also the case though:

Even if you have the Irish patent, if you don''t have, say the US patent there isn''t anything to prevent someone there from using your idea in the US (though you could prevent them from using it in Ireland).

[I''m sure I read that in an article by an IP lawyer, but my memory is vague so no doubt if it''s incorrect someone will say so. Chat to a qualified lawyer with IP experience if its something important though to be sure.]

--
Simon O''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

I''m not looking for one. I am just interested to know what the law in that respect is. Does it actually apply to the compiled code or the actual written C++ ASm or whatever, or is it just the algoritim of your code. I just don''t want to get into trouble for writing a program. I don''t actually belive in Software patents, because they prevent people learing how to do new things, as far as I''m concerned. I know Ireland can have pointless or inconsistent technology laws at times because of the amount of American companies producing tech products here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement