🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GBA Developers Income

Started by
16 comments, last by teo255 21 years, 5 months ago
Hi, We (3 guys) want to develop a GBA title as an unsigned developer, if we can gain. Are GameBoy Advance Developers gain money, and how much? And can we develop a game and sell to a big developer, and how much money can we get if the game quality is good? If there can be money we make it, else, we''ll forget it. Can anyone help us about this? Thanks,
Advertisement
Two years ago I would have said that GBA was a good place to start. Today it is a graveyard littered with dead and dying developers. Few GBA game sell in any numbers so publishers are abandoning the format.

Those western publishers who do support it are only doing licensed games/conversions from other formats of their big games. That means you would be working on their game so you would have to be signed to them first.

The only publishers that MIGHT consider an original game on GBA are the Japanese but they are very hard to do business with so you are unlikely to be able to place a game with them.

If you want to do the game for fun go ahead. If you want to make any money you are better off looking elsewhere. There are far too many professional developers already working on GBA and too few publishers.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Wooow, Dan Marchant? Are you the cool composer who made Silk Worm 4 musics on Amiga? SWIV title was a best of best class mod and we like listen it with Jesper Kyd''s Hardwired mod.

And, thank you very much for your help, we forget GBA.

Thank you,
teo
If you like Jesper Kyd then look here.

http://www.jesperkyd.com/

It has alot of his old demos as mpegs. Including hardwired.

EDIT: Yeah SWIV was a cool game with cool music! My favourtite shooter (better than projectX).

[edited by - granat on January 20, 2003 1:50:50 AM]
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Thank you grant, I was a fan of Silents&Crionics too, The Spy was my favorite coder, today he''s one of the developer of Hitman 2. There are lots of cool people in Denmark like Bjarne Stroustrup, Jesper Kyd,...

And the Amiga was great. The best composers from Amiga scene I always remember and listen are Dan Marchant, Jesper Kyd, Chris Heulsbeck and David Whittaker. In their tunes, there is a big extra thing that I can''t find in todays game musics.

Thank you
teo
Strange - didn''t know there was another Dan Marchant working in the industry. I did work on SWIV but I didn''t do the music. I was the Development Manager for SCI (produced the game, tested it, made tea). I also did PR and Marketing on the title (and others).

The composer of the same name didn''t actually do the music for SWIV. The Amiga music was done by a guy called Andrew Barnabus.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk

teo255:
Do you know the (danish) Amiga game Battle Squadron ? It has VERY COOL music in my opinion. I have the mods in some weird format. Deliplayer can play them...If you want I can mail it.

Obscure:
Aaah, yes, so sorry, I'm incorrect. But there is only your name in my mind from SWIV and some other games and I corrected myself you are the cool Developer. Andrew Barnabas is the cool composer I wanna to say and the coder Ronald Pieket and one another guy I can't remember were very very intelligent guys. The game has a superb micro kernel code that includes dynamic loading system, multitasking, custom dynamic memory allocation, sound effects generator,... that I never seen in a game before, i saw so many game codes but never seen before like SVIW, it was so advanced. The scroller has a unique technique that first used in turrican 1, it has no need to copy the full screen to scroll. The screen was only 16 colors, but it can change the color in every raster, one of the color was reserved for red flash. But in that game; musics, code, graphics,design,... everything was great. All the game was very intelligently developed and has new techniques.

I don't know what you developed on PC&Consoles, but, you made a great job in that title in Amiga, and thank you for your help about GBA, you saved us.

granat:
Denmark is small but there ara lots of cool guys in the IT industry from Denmark and some of them are best of best, and I can't understand how? I think Danish people are so intelligent. And yees, Battle Squadron was great. I remember the name of Torben Larsen from Battle Squadron. The coder and gfx artist were two cool young boys and, in 89 or 90 it was the #1 shootem-up, the graphics were so great, there were new Blitter effects and cool design that has new cool ideas. Especially the cover graphics and gameplay was great. I finished it more than 10 times without cheat. And the musics were so cool, but in that days I worked so hard to grab the mods from game but couldn't, they were in an unknown format, I think it was an optimized version of Future Composer. And I will be glad (and can listen) if you can mail Battle Squadron mods to me, thank you granat.

Thank you,
teo

[edited by - teo255 on January 21, 2003 10:05:58 AM]

[edited by - teo255 on January 21, 2003 10:12:10 AM]
I mailed you!
Thank you, granat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement