🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Copyright on "Sim"

Started by
9 comments, last by UraniumRod 24 years, 1 month ago
I was just wondering if Maxis or EA had copyright on "Sim". I want to use something along the lines of SimSewer (just an example ) in the name of my game but I''m not sure that I can without violating a copyright that they my have. Any info would be great!
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
Advertisement
I would bet you large amounts of money (if I had any money) that "sim" was copywrited

--Don''t quote me on that, unless I''m right!
Shoot Pixels Not People
I ditto Drakonite. I to would bet money if i had that it was copyrighted.
As keeps getting said, maybe on other forums, you can''t really copyright individual words. Copyright applies to literary works. However, using the word Sim in conjunction with some other word to sell a computer game is probably bordering on -trademark- infringement.
Hummm.... thats no good for me. Well is there a national copyright webpage with a data base of all copyrighted material?
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
Well Kylotan thank you for pointing that out for me . With a trademark does it have to be registered with the government to be legal or can you just diclare something a trademark? If so is there a fee? Is there a webpage explaining the trademark law, or a database on line with all of the trademarks? Thanks.
There are trademarks, and there are registered trademarks. The difference, if any, will vary from country to country. Over here in England, it does not have to be explicitly registered, I believe. Generally, if you''re making something with a similar tradename to another product, you are in trouble if they decide to complain, -unless- the courts rule that your 2 lines of business are sufficiently different so that customers wouldn''t be possibly misled by use of the name. For instance, you could name your computer game after a Ukrainian clothes manufacturer, and it wouldn''t matter, but if you named it similar to another computer game series, you''d be on thin ice.

I''m sure you could find a site on trademark law somewhere, use a search engine
Speaking of copyrights... i was wondering wherabouts i can get something copyrighted, and how much it costs. i''m a bit of a newbie, so if there is some sort of building that says COPYRIGHTS HERE! that i dont know about, dont bite my head off please...
a
Just put a © after your work and it''s copyighted. It''s absolutely free and applies to almost everything you produce, papers, software, pictures and so on. It''s not like patents that has to be registered and payed for.

============================
Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design
"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
============================Daniel Netz, Sentinel Design"I'm not stupid, I'm from Sweden" - Unknown
ok, cool...
a

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement