🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game company interview next week, some questions.

Started by
18 comments, last by Sneftel 21 years, 4 months ago
Well, I''m going in for an interview at a game company next week for an entry level position, and I have some questions. The whole process involves Dinner Monday night, go in for the interview Tuesday morning and eventually dinner Tuesday night. I don''t know if I''m going to be visiting them all day. I don''t know what to expect from an all day interview. Let alone two dinners and a lunch. Second I don''t know what I should be wearing. I''ve always heard one step above what you would wear on the job, but I don''t know if that applies in this industry. Finally, I''ve been searching around the internet for help on interviewing at game companies but I tend to find interviews of developers about games instead. So if anyone has any useful links I would appreciate it.
XanGame ProgrammerVolition Inc.
Advertisement
I can''t give out any help since im still a student but I wanted to wish you the best of luck and to say don''t mess it up !

It''s the dream of so many poeple here on these board to work in a game devlopment company

I hope you make it.

WHO DO THEY
THINK THEY''RE
FOOLING : YOU ?

WHO DO THEYTHINK THEY'REFOOLING : YOU ?
My personal philosophy is always look professional at an interview. I would always wear a suit if I owned one. When I had my two game company interviews, I only owned slacks and a sports coat and tie, so I wore those. I got two job offers and took the one I liked more.

Some people just wear a step above jeans and a t shirt, but I think that is very unprofessional. Nobody will ridicule you for being overdressed no matter what people on these forums say. If they do, then it says a lot about the level of professionalism at the place you are interviewing and I''m not sure I''d want to work there anyway. Someone may or may not mention that you don''t need to be dressed up so much, but since you can''t know until you get there, wouldn''t you rather be safe then sorry? You won''t be penalized for dressing up and you can always wear jeans after you have the job. I''d say since they are buying you two or three meals, and its a 1+ day thing, that you should definitely dress up.

As for the interview, when I interviewed it was a half day thing. We have a test you must take that is a few hours long, and you talked to each programmer for about 15 minutes. Now with more people its an all day thing. We generally have them come in, meet with everyone before lunch. Go out to lunch with us, come back, meet with anyone who is left, and then take the test at the end of the day.

Interviewing is a skill, and you are not born with it, it is practiced. There are certain things people look for in interviews but I would say do some homework on the company so you know as much about them as possible. Have some thoughtful questions to ask them during the interview, as they will surely ask you if you have questions about them. And be honest and don''t bs them too much. Just try to convey your enthusiasm and how you joining their team would be a good thing for everyone involved. Look people in the eye and smile a lot.

Best of luck.

sweet! what company?

EDIT: oh yeah, some general interview tips:
-try not to fidget too much, makes you look unsure of yourself
-don't say 'um' repeatedly
-don't order first at the restaurant, you might get a big fat steak and fries with a shake and everyone else may get a small salad, making you look like a glutton. If 2 or 3 people order the same/similar thing, get it too.
-finally, don't swear!!!!

[edited by - wolfmanyoda on February 5, 2003 12:03:09 PM]
Not too far away from you Wolfmanyoda. I''m from Indiana as well. Company is Volition in Illinois.

Actually I''ve already taken a 2.5 hour test so, the only step left is the interview, unless they don''t get enough of me in a day in a half and want a second. I guess I''m sorta hoping they ask me to stop by Wednesday morning before I go home and they make an offer.
XanGame ProgrammerVolition Inc.
The good old lecturing advice:
Don''t lie. They will bounce back on you.
Hey, let us know how it goes!
E-x-p-e-n-d-a-b-l-e
OK here goes. I work for a company in the UK so Ive been through the mill.

The bove post was right - youll never be penalised for being over dressed - but I must say that a suit is probably over the top for a games industry job. Smart casual is your best bet. Shirt, trousers shoes. Thats what I wore to all mine and several times I felt really over dressed!

Two day interviews are the best - my company does them and the thing to bear in mind is that the reason they do 2 day interviews is to make sure they like the potential employees. So relax and be yourself - especially at the meals. Dont drink too much - but drink enough so that they know your not a stick in the mud (if you do drink of course t-totallers are exempt

My company does a two day task - one day at work - an evening out then another days work. So you can expect a whole day working with them - probably with some sort of task to achieve during that day. Something like program a simple graphics demo - or the start of a 2d game.

Dont get stressed over the task and dont be afraid to ask for help if you get stuck - no point in sitting there pulling your hair out - someone who asks for help when they need it is far more valuable in an entry level position than someone who sits there prettending everythig is alright but doesnt get the work done.(assuming that they give you a task like that - it may be a more formal questions and answer style thing - who knows).

hope that helps
good luck.
Here are two links from two game headhunters:
http://www.vsearch.com/interviewing_tips.html
http://www.sandiego-online.com/forums/careers/intrvw.shtml

Just in case you haven''t read GD''s page:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=68

Most of the tips I found online said to wear clean, neat, professional casual clothing (slacks, button shirt). Overdressing can have bad consequences. It can make the interviewers uncomfortable. And it can also make you look like a newbie, if they think only a newbie would really overdress for a game interview. There''s probably no correct answer so it''s your call.

For the dinner/lunch, eat light and try to order finger foods. It''s really annoying to eat a big juicy burger with nice clothes on, much less answer everyone''s questions. Also, eating too much could make you groggy enough to completely bomb a simple programming test (like I did).

And expect anything. These are game companies and some can be pretty wacky.
Knowing what to where is function of doing your homework. In my experience I have always dressed a cut above what was the norm for the particular company.

If they wear casual, then you where long sleeved, dress shirt with a tie and nice slacks. But in in situations where you have to go into their workplace and actually work with them, dress as they do, but don''t go over board.

I can''t emphasize how important it is to be yourself and don''t give bs answers.

Its also very important to have questions to ask them. Never say that you don''t have any.

Have a practiced answer to this question "Tell me about yourself". When you answer don''t get go to deep into your personal life, focus on your skills and reason for applying.

Since you are meeting them for dinner, mind your manners. Don''t put your elbows on the table, don''t get drunk. If you are under 21 don''t drink at all.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement