🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

ULTIMATE what to wear to an interview thread...!

Started by
9 comments, last by RavNaz 21 years, 4 months ago
OK...sorry to do this to you guyz again, but I keep getting conflicting views on what is appropriate to wear to game job interviews: One side says a suit shows that your interested... The other side says that it''s too much, the game industry is relaxed, and that smart casual is fine. Help!!!
Advertisement
I would go with NO suit. I flew to Arizona for a job interview with a game company. Southwest Airlines lost my luggage, and I had to interview in regular clothes. After I got the job, the
vice-president told me that the suit would have made a very bad impression. While I worked there a few people did show up for interviews in suits. Coincedentally, none ever got hired.
Yeah I have to go with smart casual from the people I spoke to. Mind you I wore a suit to the interview for my job
If you dress in a suit you''ll look like you''re trying too hard to put on a show and impress them. If you dress in torn jeans and a ripped t-shirt they''ll think you don''t care enough to present yourself well.

There''s nothing set in stone... wear what you think makes you look good, what you think makes you look presentable.

TheLGN | consumer media with a passion - Senior Editor, Moderator
swift URL | browse my bookmarks [server may not always be on]
SotteD | Info/download
Hrmm, as a person who interviewed somewhere between 30 & 50 people for programming jobs I''ll tell you a few things I looked for. Firstly, nothing makes as bad an impression as someone who dresses like a slob to an interview. Make sure your clothes are clean and relatively new (not raged). Make sure you have good hygiene (brush your teeth and comb your hair).

Secondly, dress in business casual if you aren''t sure. This means nice pants (not jeans, try khakis), polo shirt (anything with a collar really), nice shoes (no tennis shoes). If you want to step it up a bit add a tie and a sports jacket to the mix. This is then one step under suit but not quite there.

Also, ASK your recruiter, or the HR person you are talking with what the proper attire is for the interview. They will tell you what you can wear.

RandomTask
Go naked, with a rubber glove on your head, shouting "I''m a squid!, I''m a squid!".

j/k. I say that a pair of slacks, nice causual shirt with a tie will suffice in most cases.
In my opinion wearing a suit to an interview is a display of respect to both the company you are interviewing with and the people you meet while there. Anyone who wears a suit to the interview who thinks to themselves "I''ll get the job if I wear a suit" or "I won''t get the job if I don''t wear a suit" misses the entire point. It''s about making a simple statement without saying a word "I''m here, I''m interested in the job, and I think that your worth the time to get dressed up for." The people doing the interview''s know that you don''t dress like this every day, and I''m sure some even appriciate the fact that you aren''t just out on an interview trying to fill some type of quota so that you can continue to collect un-empolyment benefits.

I''ve never heard of anyone not getting a job simply based on the fact that they "dressed up" to an interview. (And to the person who mentioned it above I''m sure there were other reasons that those people were not hired).

The overall intention of an interview from your end is to project a positive view of yourself. You do this by the way you dress, the results you score on the tests, how you answer questions and solve problems, and how you interact with the people in the enviornment. You only get one chance to make a first impression, so why not make it the best one you can?
Pretend that, the instead of going to an interview, you are going out on a date. Dinner and a movie. Dress with that image in your mind.

I think it would work because interviews are very much like dates. Your goal is to impress the ''date'' enough to let ''her'' invite you to ''her place.''

Thougn, I am a little fuzzy on what kind of shoes you should wear.
Casual Oxford''s. Go great with anything.

And screw the suit unless you''re really desperate for the job. If your merits don''t speak for themselves, you don''t deserve the job anyways.

I was thinking along the lines of trousers and a decent shirt...no tie though....

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement