🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

It's hard getting hired by videogame companies...

Started by
3 comments, last by slippers2k 21 years, 3 months ago
The videogame industry is a big one, and I''m sure lots of money usually is at stake in regards to development. I just wish companies were more open to tapping raw talent. (It''s too bad there isn''t a machine to take thoughts and designs of videogames from your head, and put them to code.) Has anyone had any measure of success interning for a videogame company? Or is the real satisfaction currently in indie game design? I wrote a post some time ago commenting of the current state of the videogames industry, and thinking about where the next big surge is going to come from. The more and more I think about it though, indie talent ***is*** what powers this industry, and usually it is the unknown maverick that develops into a seriously capable programmer. So, I guess my question really is, is it worth it pursuing an internship with a videogame company, or is your time better spent developing your own indie games or tech demos and advancing yourself, as opposed to working for someone else as an intern? Thanks for your time. -slippers2k Attack life''s problems like a Subaru... with all four wheels
Attack life's problems like a Subaru... with all four wheels
Advertisement
Depends on what your goals are.

Do you like being underpaid, working incredibly long hours, having no job security, and making other peoples games? Then the games industry wants you!

If you want to work normal hours, get paid more and make games *in your spare time* go Indie.

To become self sufficient as an Indie you need quite a few years to learn all the skills (programming, design, art, business management and promotion) and of course make your game. Some people out there have done it and are living off the income generated by their game(s). But they are very determined and good at most of the skills I mentioned.

[edited by - Davaris on March 10, 2003 4:49:23 PM]
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Davaris, do you mean there actually is a big Indie cash cow besides the ordinary gaming industry of a handful
heavyweights? Where money flow happier and people earn fatter?

I have kinda hard to believe that. This would mean that electronic selling has finally taken off, or
did I miss something?
I wouldn''t say it''s *big* but there are people out there who are making a very good living.

As with all things most people aren''t prepared to do what it takes to succeed. If you want to learn more, check out the developer forums and articles at www.dexterity.com.

The guy I respect most from the Indie scene wrote a game called Pretty Good Solitaire and is doing extremely well.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
I''m sure there''s a lot more to do even after you finally get in the door at a game company.

How long can you tolerate making games you might not believe in until you can really get to work on a game you would enjoy?

Do some people get lucky and enjoy the whole process all the way through? Does it lead them exactly where they want to go?

Do some that have great potential get stuck being in the wrong place at the wrong time, miss out on opportunities, and can never seem to make it work?

Does the industry do anything to nurture that talent, or is it a "get this done by this time or you''re out, learn on your own time" philosophy? Does that vary from company to company?
It's not what you're taught, it's what you learn.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement