🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help on Marketing Research?

Started by
3 comments, last by wenching 21 years, 3 months ago
Hello everyone. I had this question which I extract from a competition online application form. But I do not know how and where to make research on it! I never really study marketing subject before. Any help please! Just assume my game is similar to Diablo 2. What is the market for your product? Tip: This is a really important section. You should describe your target market (who you are aiming the product at), who will buy it etc, remembering to justify your choice. Show that you have done some research by including some facts and figures and ideas of how you would get the product to market? I not really know how to start with? Oh my, If i face this question in future, how am I suppose to answer it? Please help! Thank you. Regards, Chua Wen Ching "Very new to games I think"
"Very new to games I think"
Advertisement
Target market = Fans of fantasy and action games.

You can segment the market further by definning things such as age, income, location...etc

How do you do research? Use the internet. Find out who plays fantasy video games or traditional D&D games.

John
Its an important question too! It should have been asked before you even started making your game.

"Who would want to play my game?" AND
"What are the personal experinces they share?"

Then, design with those things in mind. Who shot JR? Who won on the first survivor. Knowledge of these things is important to that age group. IF you know your "age group" then you can assume knowledge, like Girls 15-18 hate this, or Boys 7-9 like this. etc.

So for Diablo 2-clone, you would be targeting boys 12-25, depending on your violence levels. People who like diablo 2 but want a new challange, and RTS fans who want a cheap thrill. Facts and figures, well, you can list some Diablo 2 facts and figures, or better yet, if you can find a Diablo 1 or 2 clone, then you can base your figures off of that.

You can also base figures off of past games you''ve done, who plays your game? and why?
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Hey thanks.

Target age 12-25. Wow. You mean diablo2 only this type of age play it.

Then above 25 what type of game they normally play?

How about games like Age of Mythlogy or NeverwinterNight or Medal Of Honor? Also categorized in the same age category?

Thanks for explanation.

Is this questions:

--> extracted from the question I give earlier. Is it I must assume like that? I worried off-topic. Hehe. Then the scope will get larger and larger.

Sorry as I no much experience on marketing. Thanks.

Do i need to care about publisher?

Regards,
Chua Wen Ching

quote:
Target age 12-25. Wow. You mean diablo2 only this type of age play it.

Then above 25 what type of game they normally play?

The "Target Age" and the age of people who play it are totally different. The Target age is what age group the game is written for. No one stops people 25 and above from playing any game. I play Tail Concerto for PS a lot, and its designed for younger kids.

I don''t have very much experance with the games you listed, so I cannot tell you who plays it. People over about 24-25 usually don''t enjoy click-fest games like Diablo, of course, a lot people 25+ play it, its just not the majority.

quote:
Is this questions:

--> extracted from the question I give earlier. Is it I must assume like that?

Good question, I see you are from Malaysian. There are things that Malaysian culture takes for granted that other people would find "crazy". Also, things offend people in one culture, and in the other, its ok.

If you have to know a malaysian story inorder to beat your game, or know the sneezes nursery ryhme, then you might want to make sure everyone who you target for your game will know that.

Of course, you can also work this to your benefit. If you know a Malaysian myth, but you you are targeting the US and Europe, and they don''t know it, then you can borrow story elements.

DragonBall is a great story, but not many people in the US realize its part of a chinese myth, while people in China/Japan do.

Another reason you should assume this, is because certain age groups don''t like certian things.

(example)
If you plan on making a Diablo game, and you add a good puzzle baised on playing dress up with barbie. Even though the puzzle is entertaining and fun, boys might *not* want to play with barbies.

This is a crazy example,but there are a lot of indepenent games that have quests that the target audiance won''t "like" or questions the target audiance won''t know. (like Who shot JR)

As for a publisher? If you are independent, the *rule of thumb* that everyone says is that your game should be 90% done. Make sure you can prove to a publisher that people like your game, and if your game is working, its easier to convice a publisher.

gamasultra.com has a good tutorial on making proposals. you may want to look there.

~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement