🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Multi User Domains?

Started by
2 comments, last by KaneBlackflame 24 years, 1 month ago
Does anyone know how to write a MUD Engine? I have no experiance network programming or passing data through the web or a network, so use baby terms. Can anyone tell me where I can find any of this out? I would love to create a MUD and am all set to go, but I need to write my own engine...please help....
"Victims...aren't we all?" -Brandon Lee, the Crow
Advertisement
You can find the source code for many MUDs online. These sources have been around for a long time (many of them). Some are better than others.

Some common MUD ''engines'' that you might want to run a search for on Yahoo or your favorite search:
ROM (Rivers of MUD)
Merc
Circle

Or maybe just try looking for ''MUD source code.'' You should be able to find lots of examples. Keep in mind, though, they are almost all done for a UNIX platform. If you''re doing a Windows based MUD, I''m not sure how much help they''d be.

You could also take a look at the UOX source.

http://www.uoxdev.com

Take a look at their network.cpp, I believe it''s called. It is fairly simple and will work under Windows.
ftp.game.org has all the MUD source code you need to get started. Very little of it is network programming. All output goes into a buffer, and every 1/4 of a second that buffer is emptied down a socket. For input, every 1/4 of a second the input is read from the socket, and split apart into separate commands wherever a carriage return/line feed (or some combination) is encountered. Apart from that, it functions just like a single user text adventure would, except less sophisticated in many ways.

I recommend looking at the Envy source code if you want something reasonably clean, or the Smaug source code for bloated featureware. But programming your own is a good step if you have lots of new ideas, and it''s better than starting just another ''stock'' MUD the same as all the others.

Any further questions, ask here or mail me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement