🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New to multiplayer programming

Started by
2 comments, last by Maurer 24 years ago
I''m in a programming class at my high school and have programmed a pong game in visual basic. How can I make my game multiplayer over the internet or network.
Advertisement
There are probably (most assuredly) some simple networking components built in to VB. You can probably get some for free off the internet, if not.

One in particular I would recommend that is easy for beginners to learn, that I know has VB support is IPWorks (http://www.dev-soft.com). You can download a "trial" version of their components for free. (The trial versions pop-up annoying nag screens when you open a socket).

You could use their IPPort and IPDaemon components to setup a TCP connection and have one machine keep track of the ball position and tell the other where it is, and its velocity, while the other tells the server it''s paddle position (when it changes).

There are probably also DirectPlay VB components you could use, too.
You could use the Winsock control which comes with all VB versions (at least I think it does). It''s really easy to work with and shouldn''t bring you much trouble. I also believe there are some good examples on how to use it in MSDN.

=======================================
:: Muzzafarath (Andreas Jonsson)

:: Mad House Software
:: Xtreme Gamerz

:: E-mail address: de@goteborg.mail.telia.com
:: ICQ #64570151
=======================================

Laborare non amo - I don''t like to work.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
New To Multiplayer Game Programming?
Join The Club.
I Think That We All Are.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement