🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3rd party publishing a previously released game

Started by
2 comments, last by Panayoti 21 years, 2 months ago
If a game development studio attempts to self-publish a self-funded game, could it somehow prevent a future arrangement where a third-party publisher might not agree to publish a game because it had been previously released? Ie: Is it possible for a studio to attempt to market a game to build a fan base, and then to lobby the game to a large publisher, to achieve greater exposure, once it had developed a small audience already? Perhaps it depends on how well the game does on its initial release? Perhaps the publisher would only pick up the title if it does sell well, but if it''s selling well, do you need a third-party publisher? I appreciate people''s thoughts and comments. P
Advertisement
Yes it probably would damage your chances of getting a later deal. Releasing the game to build a following will result in one of two outcomes.

1. Its popular and sells - publisher wont want it cos it sold already.
2. It doesn''t sell - publisher wont want it cos it isn''t popular.

Of course in the first case you have got money from selling it so you shouldn''t be too worried.

A better thing to do is releasing a really well tuned and polished playable demo and doing some PR with the various gaming sites in order to build awareness of the game. That is more likely to attract a publisher.

Dan Marchant
Obscure Productions
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
Funny, because i just posted about Jagged Alliance 2.

Some guys bought the rights from Sir-tech after they hit bottom, did some minor changes like merging the original program and the mission disk together and they are going to re-release it as Jagged Alliance 2 Gold.
Its 15,99 € at www.amazon.de
So i guess even if a game was sold years ago, some "market analysing group" must think it will sell again or they wouldnt do that.
quote: Original post by Obscure
Yes it probably would damage your chances of getting a later deal. Releasing the game to build a following will result in one of two outcomes.

1. Its popular and sells - publisher wont want it cos it sold already.
2. It doesn''t sell - publisher wont want it cos it isn''t popular.

I disagree with #1. If it''s popular enough, a publisher will be happy to take it, so long as they think there is still a market for the game. After all, "proven successful" is the mantra of retail publishers.

-David

DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement