🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Selling my engine

Started by
16 comments, last by Raduprv 21 years, 2 months ago
I am working, since Oct. 2002 at a 3D isometric engine, that is used in a MMORPG. Now, my MMORPG is online, but, so far, you can only walk, chat, sit, interact with some objects (read some signs, enter some doors), but not any fighting, economy, and so on. Adding an economy system, combat, etc. will take a few more months, and tuning it would take another few months, so we can't get money too soon, from the players. So, I was thinking, one way to get some money, in order to afford working full time at the game, would be to sell the engine (a non exclusive license, that is), to some company. And, since my engine is not Q3's engine, and there are also other, maybe better free engines out there, I don't know if I can sell it to a 3rd party company. On the other hand, a few months ago, some guy here (forgot his name) said that he had a [simple] chat client/server that he shown to his ISP, and his ISP was greatly impressed, and wanted to incorporate that chat thing into their services. So, I believe, with some marketing, I could get SOME money out of my engine too. Now, the question is, did anyone here do something similar, or heard of anyone that did it? Any suggestions? Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory [edited by - Raduprv on April 22, 2003 6:51:44 PM]
Advertisement
Seeling?
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Oh, and I think the guy you are talking about is "Programmer One."
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
Sorry, I meant selling, of course, but realised it too later, and since I can''t modify the title..

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Can''t you? I think it''s possible.
Hmm...
Strange, I remember that I tried once and couldn''t...
Thnaks
Screen shots
Sure:
Screenshots

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
Not bad. Throwing some sort of lighting in that would make that really great.
Member of the Unban nes8bit or the White Rhino in my Basement Gets Sold to the Highest Bidder Association (UNWRBGSHBA - Not accepting new members.)Member of the I'm Glad Mithrandir Finally Found an Association that Accepts People with his Past History Association (IGMFFAAPPHA)
Want me to move this to the business forum? You''d probably get a better response over there.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement