🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Implementing IRC!!!

Started by
11 comments, last by Bully 24 years ago
I was wondering if I could add a IRC chatroom in a directx game that I am working on. If so how could I do it. I want to do this because my game is a multi-player puzzle game. The chatroom should be able to be accessed in a IRC client and my game. Thanks for your help. -David
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Bully

I was wondering if I could add a IRC chatroom in a directx game that I am working on. If so how could I do it. I want to do this because my game is a multi-player puzzle game. The chatroom should be able to be accessed in a IRC client and my game.
Thanks for your help.

-David

First get a copy of RFC 1459.
Second implement the client side of IRC in your game...

HTH,
David "Dak Lozar" Loeser

I just reread this... and it doesnt sound very helpful
I have some example code that shows how to connect to an IRC
server send nick and enter a channel. I can send to you if you like.

Edited by - Dak Lozar on June 13, 2000 1:35:54 PM
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous

Although what you said still sounds helpful,could you please send me some examples. david@liquidmercury.zzn.com

-Thanks
Another thing you could do is use DPlay. If you do this, you can''t connect to an IRC server and an IRC client couldn''t connect to you, but you still can make a simple chat.

------------------------
Captured Reality.

Yeah I know about directplay, but I want the game to use IRC so I don''t have to host a server. And I''ll be using directplay anyway for the actual in game action anyway.
Dak Lozar i was wondering you could send me that example code too? I am interested in doing something similar also...
Thanks! :-) ehutchin@gonzaga.edu
For things like this I use a wsock32.dll replacement I wrote. It sends everything to the real wsock32.dll, but it logs somethings like what kind of data goes through. So if I wanted to make an IRC client I just put it in the same directory as mirc, or someother client, and run the program. When I''m done I have a nice log of everything mirc did. (it worked well enough when I made my hotline password scanner )
For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
That''s really cool! Care to post a link?
I lost the source code, but I''ll see what I can dig up.

I also wrote a program to help me write a proxy dll for any dll. So I can use that if nothing else.
For a good time hit Alt-F4! Go ahead try it, all the cool people are doing it.
quote: Original post by blue-lightning

I lost the source code, but I''ll see what I can dig up.

I also wrote a program to help me write a proxy dll for any dll. So I can use that if nothing else.

Sounds interesting

Gimme gimme

-Agent1

Visit Activeworlds today! :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement