🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Distrubiting to a single store

Started by
11 comments, last by Tiso 24 years ago
Can I just distribute to a single store like EB? Or a Babbages? What are the chances of them letting you do that? Are there contracts involved? If so, are they good or bad ones? ............ Guardian Angel Interactive
Advertisement
It''s possible.
But you need to coordinate everything.

-design a nice quality cd rom package/manual or use a jewel case.
-Manufacturing of CDROM copies/package/manual.
-Transport (UPS for instance) to the warehouse of retailer.
-support for customers.
-maybe you also need to support finanically the retailer with promotion of your product

So that''s why most people prefer a publisher.

Don''t you have to buy some sort of liscense or something? I thought I have heard that.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
EB, Babbages and other major retail chains require a contract which costs you about $25.000 - $50.000. This is just to get started as an account of theirs... On top of that you pay $1.000 - $2.500 for each title you enroll into their retail programme.

Just going up to a buyer at a store simply does not suffice, and on top of the $26.000+ you have to spend anyway, you of course need to give the store 30-60 days credit for "sale or return". Which means you get back what they don''t sell. They also won''t pay you for that.

Like you can see there are probably a lot of ''wannabe publishers'' but only few have the means to actually get something on the shelves.

Take care,

Alex
Okay, I have access to a CD burner, and a labeler (I love having cpu loving family members ), but, how would I make a box? The only thing I can think of is an old card board box and painting it. LOL

Were the decimals in your prices supposed to be commas? Or were they actually decimals?

Guardian Angel Interactive
1. If you''re serious about making boxes, don''t make them. You can buy them from a printer. Just ask around, or look on the Internet.

2. In the European Union, dots and commas are used opposite how they are in the United States. Thus 2.500 is two thousand five hundred. And 2.500,25 is two thousand five hundred and 25/100ths. You get used to reading either way after awhile.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Nice to see you''re not scared by the huge numbers I quote

I reckon there are smaller chains like Micro Center who would have a lower treshold for newbies. Still you are really taking on a LOT of work and not to mention trouble by trying to sell into retail. It''s a long hard slog to finally get some money from these guys. Almost as bad as having Ingram Micro as a distributor

Good luck!

Take care,

Alex
Whoa! That''s alot of money! That I don''t have! Geesh, a nasty price. It makes me sick just thinking about it!

What no one has mentioned so far is that you will need to market your game. Stores don''t buy games because they are good, they buy them based on the amount of money you are going to spend on marketing.

Dan Marchant
www.obscure.co.uk
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
What do you mean by marketing? How much marketing ect?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement