🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

web pages

Started by
15 comments, last by djsteffey 23 years, 11 months ago
How would one go about registering a domain name for their website......say I wanted www.mygames.com, how would this be done ? Does it cost anything because I see alot of you guys on here who list webpages, there are custom ones, or at least appear to be.......I have a webpage but it is www.angelfire.com/games2/themgames/index.html see I don''t want all that I want something like www.themGames.com How is this done ? "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail themGames Productions
Advertisement
register.com

Then you have to pay someone to host your website.

My suggestion is to use namezero.com, and link the domain they give you to your angelfire page. It is a bit complicated though. Email me if you can''t figure out how to do it.

---
www.crazycrackerz.org
As themgames.com has already been taken, you may want to reserve a name that hasnt been that you want, such as themgames.net

You can have free domain name parking with the GDA, and if you wish to then put a site up, we will host the domain and give you 50MB of web space with full cgi access and ASP with no banners or ads for just $8/month

Go to http://gda.i-techuk.net for more information

--
David Athay
GDA
Can anyone tell me how easy it is to just reserved a domain name?
I just want the name, no website, nothing else.
You can''t reserve one as such. You can buy one and park it (leave it dormant) which I think is basically what you want. Most hosting companies offer this service and it should cost a max of $50.

Dan Marchant
www.obscure.co.uk
Dan Marchant - Business Development Consultant
www.obscure.co.uk
I registered with Easydns.com for 30 US. They have hosting options but you can get a better deal elsewhere. They 'park' your .com for free until you get a host.

Parking = They put up a web page saying that your site is under construction.

Hosting = someone gives you space on thier server to put your web page. Search around. You get what you pay for. Just about all hosting services restrict downloads to a certain number of gigabytes per month.

--------------------------
Carpe Diem

Edited by - DeltaVee on June 26, 2000 3:44:47 PM
D.V.Carpe Diem
Go to the site register.com that acw83 recommended.......I registered themgeames.net and it didnt cost me anything....I am not sure if they host a web page for you but it will allow a redirect to your real webpage which is good enough for me
so if i type in www.themgames.net
it will take me to www.angelfire.com/games2/themgames/index.html
which is acceptable to me
FYI

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

Hey, that''s cool . I didn''t even think about redirecting my domain
name to somewhere else like an Geocities or AngelFire account.

Although, don''t most free sites have policies against setting up a
commerical website that sells stuff?

Well I am not intending to sell stuff off of my site, at least not yet.....
It is just a place to put the work I have done and allow others to download it and stuff like that.

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

As far as free website providers go, crosswinds beats them all hands down. They allow business, sales, anything you want! Unlimited space, the sky is the limit! No advertisements, zip, nothing. The only thing though, they don''t allow you to post an image that is hosted by them on any message board not owned by crosswinds.

I think that''s okay though, if you want to display an image just upload it to geocities, simple.

http://www.crosswinds.net

Check it out!

Guardian Angel Interactive

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement