🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

www.garagedeveloper.com

Started by
13 comments, last by lakibuk 23 years, 11 months ago
has anybody experience with www.garagedeveloper.com ? are they a publisher or what do they do?
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
Advertisement
GarageDeveloper is a publisher, but I dont think they have yet delved into retail outlets, only online (standalone or collection) but im sure in the future they would.
Make sure to always check out all your options, and judge based on how completed/professional/etc. your game is.

www.garagedeveloper.com
www.egames.com
www.crystal-interactive.com
www.godgames.com
www.expert.com

etc.

---------------
Ibuku
AmaDev
www.amadev.net
And now, for your enjoyment, is my extremely biased opinions of Ibuku''s excellent publisher list:

www.garagedeveloper.com - little experience and won''t get your game into a retail store. Royalties are probably pretty high, but that''s if your game sells at all...

www.egames.com - a good, well-known, and chiefly online publisher. However, they tend to sell most of their products in value-packs for budget prices and they tend to only want family-oriented games.

www.crystal-interactive.com - agh, the rumors just FLY over this company. Avoid them, there are so many other choices, why bother.

www.godgames.com - wow, if you can get these guys, jump in the air for joy. They publisher big name developers left and right. However, they were just bought by some big-wig company, so I''m not sure how that will alter an amateurs chances.

www.expert.com - another decent publisher who works closely with activision, I think. Even if not, the main thing to know is that they CAN get you to major retailers but only as a budget game. They have bigger fish to fry.

There''s also Xtreme Games LLD, but I say avoid them altogether. Their contract''s a dirty trick.

Well, glad to get that out (for no reason at all).

------------------------------
Changing the face of adventure gaming...
Atypical Interactive
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
Does GOD-Games publish small "budget" titles?
quote: Original post by AtypicalAlex
There''s also Xtreme Games LLD, but I say avoid them altogether. Their contract''s a dirty trick.

Thank you for bringing that up. As I understand it once you sign their "Xtreme Games Partner" contract every game you develop is supposed to become the property of Xtreme Games. Is this correct or have I picked up on false information? How can this even be legal? Sounds to me like selling your soul to the devil.
-
Decoy Does GOD-Games publish small "budget" titles?
-

GOD games dont, but they have a budget/independant aimed branch called On Deck Interactive (http://www.odigames.com)
They are very in touch with indie developers, and understand the struggle, but you still need a high quality budget game to get in with them im sure.
So really only you can judge where you think your game should go.

quote: Original post by Ibuku
-
Decoy Does GOD-Games publish small "budget" titles?
-
GOD games dont, but they have a budget/independant aimed branch called On Deck Interactive (http://www.odigames.com)

Wow, this ODI looks cooL. The good thing is that after publishing one or more small games via ODI you can go on to make a bigger project distributed via GOD games, and already have a relationship with them.

I don't think someone like garagedeveloper is worthwhile (though I haven't looked at them at all).

If you can get your gamed published in stores via ODI or egames or whatever, do so.

If not, self-publish with Shareware registration via regsoft, regnow, digibuy, etc. Or just make it freeware.

Anyway, that's my thoughts...

- n8

nathany.com

Edited by - nathany on July 4, 2000 3:02:38 PM
Yes, loads of thanks AtypicalAlex. We love you too!

3 questions:

1)What are these rumors about Crystal Interactive?

2)Is Andre Lamoth''s company really that bad? I mean, he seems like a cool guy.

3)Anybody else want to post their opinions on the publishers? I really appreciate what AtypicalAlex did and I would like to see some other opinions as well.

Masters Software
I have little knowledge of any publishing companies, but I''ve been following the discussions here and reading up on whatever I can find about each of the publishers mentioned on this board. What''s sad is how a company can get a bad reputation on this board just because of some comments from people who have never dealt with any of them. For example, every single comment directed towards Crystal on this board has been repeatedly addressed, explained or refuted by the CEO of the company in a clear, detailed manner. Despite this, somehow the company has been tagged with a bad reputation without so much as a single comment from a person who has actually done any business with them. Maybe some people have actually seen a contract or done some research on LaMothe''s company, but I''m gathering that not a single person in here has actually dealt with them, either.

So, since I''m probably just about as qualified as most of the people in here to give a recommendation (ie. I have absolutely no first-hand knowledge about any of the companies), here it is: talk to the companies yourself when you have a game ready to publish, and read the contract carefully.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement