🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

9 months

Started by
20 comments, last by Magic Card 23 years, 11 months ago
For the last 9 months I have worked day in and day out, every hour of every day (well not every hour) on my 3rd person shooter. Finally, I come up with somehting and nobody likes it. Why does this happen to me? Some kid looked at the screenshot and said "Why did you forget to put teletubbies in there?" TELETUBBIES! Somebody shoot me! Then I got kicked out of the chat room for, well, I guess having the worst "screenshot" ever made. I just want you all who hated my screenshot to realize how much money I spent: Game Design Kit 4.0: $60 Borland C++: $50 Play Amorphium: $250 World Construction Set 5.0: $557 Borland C++ for Dummies: $40 Idiot''s Guide to C++: $30 Total: $987 ''lotta money no? Just for one game. Just so I could start my company with a *bang*. Instead, I start it with a *flop*. Now I''ll have to start over. 9 months down the drain. Good bye my chances of making some money! Good bye house. Good bye cars! Hello poverty! If anyone can help, give me a suggestion, or if you are in the Newton, MA area, please reply. PS:YOU CLOSE THIS TOPIC AND YOU WILL DIE! Well, not die, but I''ll be really mad. Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these. Magic Card of DanAvision Software Entertainment, FOREVER!!! http://danavision.homestead.com Prepare to be blown away! ------------------------- Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Advertisement
1. Don''t whine in public...it''s unsightly...

2. One bad review by another relatively "newbie" developer does not a bad game make. If that''s the only feedback you have, and you''re throwing in the towel, consider a different career. This one isn''t for you.

3. A completed project, even a completed *un-published* (and probably *un-publishable*) project, still beats an uncompleted project. And a cash outlay of only $1K US isn''t exactly that big of a deal in the long run. Most hobbies chew up more cash than that in 9 months, and they''re not expected to be profitable. Take what you learned from the project and do better next time. Most of those expenses won''t need to be repeated in your next project.

4. The world is a big place. Float the game as shareware anyway and you''ll probably sell a few copies, or at least get some usable feedback. There are a lot of niches in the Internet. You don''t have to sell to everyone to make a living.

5. How much of a *bang* did you expect to make with your first project anyway? If you''re buying an "Idiot''s Guide..." as a supply for the project, you''re not in much position to make a *bang*. To make progress, yes; to learn skills for the future, yes; to impress your friends and family, maybe; but to make a *bang*? I''m not sure "No" adequately conveys the meaning I want...but I''ll settle for it: No. Unrealistic expectations kill quite a few projects every year.

Good luck!

DavidRM
Samu Games
If this is really your first game, then don''t be shocked that it "sucks". One developer I read about said to hurry up and make 10 games, because your first 10 games will suck. Even if it wasn''t your first game, but your first 3rd person shooter, you still gotta expect to make some mistakes. And last, if the art sucks, so what, if the gameplay is there, then that''s all that matters. Now if the gameplay isn''t there, then maybe you didn''t spend enough time in the design phase.

Oh, and I guess this is really lastly, if you built a complete game in 9 months with no help (art, music, programming, design) then give yourself a break! The day of the single developer are over and you''ve probably been working a lot harder than necessary, but learned a lot along the way.

Ut
Ummm what did how much money you spent have to do with the screenshot you made? And so as not to kick a fellow coder when he''s down look on the brightside;

If you did indeed complete a game then you have a framework in place for your next one. You can pat yourself on the back for finishing. Also there is hardly a need to start over, nor is 9 months "down the drain" unless your code isn''t modular.

But you know this. So lick your wounds. Take what''s constructive from the critique''s you were rendered. This swift kick in the ass and get busy on making people drool over the title you just made. Or on a new one.

S.C.
That web site is hilarious, as was your post. Thanks.

Oddly, the screen shot would be better with teletubbies. Listen to the fans.

It all is looking very good My compliments!
At your age, I wasn''t doing that good. If you go on with this - you must - you will become a big one!

Don''t let people get you down. They are probably just jealous. There are some good people with constructive critisism. Take it as a challenge, and prove them wrong

Good luck with your next projects,
- Bas

Oh, and another thing:
9 months is the time to make a baby
- Why not let it grow up, and learn it some things...

You remind me of an Eminem song....Stan....Why are you so angry? If you wanted to start your company out with a bang, there your bang is...your starting a company with an already complete 3D game, it just needs to get some better graphics. It looks kind of like Duke Nuke ''Em: Zero Hour, but with worse graphics....so what is it that the critics are looking at - definitely not gameplay. What they do is take a first glance, judging it by it''s graphics....kind of like judging a book by a cover, so to finish, don''t get upset over it, just look at it, decide what''s wrong, and fix it.
hey Magic Card,

What do you want to hear? Do you want people to lie to you or tell you the
truth what they think? I would rather hear people tell me that my game sucked
so I can improve what they didn''t like. I WANT people to tell me what is wrong
with my game. A lot of people who start out have very high and unrealistic
goals. The fact is, 9 months is too short, $1k is peanuts, and those items you
listed are utter crap. If you started out cold, you have to keep doing this
for at least 2 YEARS straight and create a couple of games before you see any
good results. And from the sound of your post, you still seem a bit clueless
about what is going on. Grow up a little first.
Look Ace!

Do you really want me to count what I spend for the first product of my company? Well it was about 5000$-10.000$ and *flop*.
Quite normal. Programming to SELL something is much more difficult than programming for yourself. Yes after the flop mentioned above I needed one year to get enough motivation to make the next game. But I can tell you, this second game ROCKS, because I was able to use all the experience I made with the first product.
Oh, and I would never use Borland C++.

Jesters Golden Rules No. 1:
Stick to the public WHILE you are producing your game. Show them Screenshots and your ideas BEFORE you make the game. If you get bad feedback change the concept until you get good feedback.

I''ll post the rest of the Jesters Rules soon.

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement