🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

9 months

Started by
20 comments, last by Magic Card 23 years, 11 months ago
Thanks guys. Your comments really cheered me up!

Also, the game''s not done yet. It''s still in its beginning stages. I could really use the help though, if anyone wishes to offer it. I mostly need a mortorcycle...

Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.
Magic Card of DanAvision Software Entertainment, FOREVER!!!
http://danavision.homestead.com

Prepare to be blown away!
-------------------------

Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com
Advertisement
Magic Card,

Be proud that you have made something in 9 months, and that you are learning along the way. That is good, and it''s what really matters at this point.

However, do not start gloating over your work, especially if you''re the only person who thinks along those lines.

quote: Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.

quote: Prepare to be blown away!

I would seriously consider toning statements like this down. If you are responding badly to criticism, justifying any flaws based on the money you spent (which, as others have mentioned, is peanuts), and then asserting that your game is better than top quality commercial games that have sold hundreds of thousands and sometimes millions of copies, then there are personal issues you need to resolve.

If I were you, I would change to a perspective of doing what you''re doing to learn and improve, rather than "blow everyone away" on an effort built primarily from game construction kits. If you blow off criticism now, you will find people unwilling to give you criticism later (and people need that criticism). You will also be flagged by some people as an "ignorant newbie" and make several enemies. Enemies are *not* what you want in an industry as tight as this.

Calm down, and look at your work objectively instead of subjectively. You''ll be better off.
Are you on crack?

$1000 is nothing. Consider it money well spent because you''re doing something fun, programming games.

Besides, did your game suck? For $1000 and 9 months I have a pretty good guess for that one.

quote:
For the last 9 months I have worked day in and day out, every hour of every day (well not every hour) on my 3rd person shooter. Finally, I come up with somehting and nobody likes it. Why does this happen to me? Some kid looked at the screenshot and said "Why did you forget to put teletubbies in there?" TELETUBBIES! Somebody shoot me! Then I got kicked out of the chat room for, well, I guess having the worst "screenshot" ever made. I just want you all who hated my screenshot to realize how much money I spent:

Your talking about your Gamma Hunter game, right? I seem to remember that the "screenshot" you were showing off wasn''t even that. It was concept art! And it was one of the ugliest pre-rendered "screenshots" I''ve ever seen.

A few hints:
- Don''t over-hype your game.
- Don''t hype your game when you don''t have anything to show.
- Don''t private message people with crap like "Just stop making fun of me!" (which I didn''t do). And: "Wait till you see the trailer!".
- Don''t lie about the time/effort you''ve spent on something. I''d be surprised if you spent 10 minutes on that game. How the hell do you spend 9 months making one "screenshot" which isn''t even part of the game, but rather something you put togetther in Paint? Are you counting the amount of time it took you to learn MSPaint?

quote:
Good bye house. Good bye cars! Hello poverty!

You''re 13. I don''t think you need to support yourself.

quote:
Top quality games don''t kick ass as well as these.
Magic Card of DanAvision Software Entertainment, FOREVER!!!

Prove it.
You should be glad you were able to start and finish a game. I usually end up starting adding adding and adding until i toss the originsl idea and make a new one. And if you learned c++ and game programming and made a game in 9 months thats a succes in its own! :D

Well well this is my sig
` Treize Khushrenada,
Come one, Come All join the SpaceBattles Alliance: http://sballiance.3dworlds.org/
Well well this is my sig` Treize Khushrenada,Come one, Come All join the SpaceBattles Alliance: http://sballiance.3dworlds.org/
Well here's his game folks:

Edited by - JeremyS on July 22, 2000 5:28:25 PM
WHY THE HELL DID YOU POST THAT! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! IT SUCKS! NOW NOBODY... absolutely NOBODY IS GOING TO WANT TO BUY IT! JUST FROM THAT ONE SCREENSHOT! FOR GOD SAKES THEY LOOK LIKE THEY''RE FLYING! ASK MY PERMISSION FIRST NEXT TIME! Sheesh!

Street Gang soon...
Gamma Hunter later...
DanAvision FOREVER!
-----------------------
This message posted by: Magic Card
-----------------------------A world destroyed, a myth rebord. Some truths should remain untold...Check out NightRise today, coming eventually from DanAvision Software Entertainment.http://www.danavisiongames.com

HA HA HA HA !!!

Very funny....

-- There IS something rotten in the state of Denmark --
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Gee, weren''t you just hyping that same screenshot a couple of days ago?

----------------------------------------
Whenever I see an old lady slip and fall on a wet sidewalk, my first instinct is to laugh. But then I think, what if I was an ant and she fell on me? Then it wouldn't seem quite so funny.
Actually, it''s not that bad of a mock-up screenshot. I had to make a few ''screenshots'' up last year for my typography/layout calss.

It was the final project and we were to make a box for a piece of software. So, I, with my one-track mind, decided to use one of my recent game ideas. Thus I needed to whip up a few pictures. I did the first in Poser 3, backdrop in trueSpace, and compositing and special fx in Photoshop. It looked okay, but posing in Poser is not anything natural to me. So I did the second entirely in trueSpace, making a model and eveything else. In the end, I handed in a day late after I had stayed up for 40 hours straight {thankfully, it gets better after 1 A.M.} The result: a single figure on a undetailed plane.

My point is, you''ve at least thought of some of your details for the game already. There''s a lot to be learned from doing mock-ups, and not just art. You''ll be learning user interface, too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement