🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Setting up Win98 as FTP server

Started by
2 comments, last by KalvinB 23 years, 11 months ago
When I retrieve my IP using ICQ and put it in IE I get Access Forbidden. I''m assuming it''s the same reason my computer can''t be accessed by DirectPlay using an IP. Is there any free software out there that can allow me to make my computer accessible as an FTP or full Web server? I tried Serv-U and even when it''s running I get the same access denied. TelNet also fails to connect. The only software I know of that makes my computer accessible is Sub7 but for obvious reasons I''m not going to use that. If I have to purchase software I''d like to keep the price below $200. Has anyone here ever gotten remote access with an IP using winsock? So far I can only connect over a LAN and using a direct Modem connection. Ben
Advertisement
Win98 doesnt come with support software to be a telnet or ftp server, although theres something called MS Personal Webserver that came on my win98 cd.

If you want ftp or telnet, either learn the protocols and write your own servers, or find one on the internet. Most server software will cost you some money, but there are probably some freeware ones out there somewhere, if you look hard enough. If you have the resources, setting up a dual-boot linux system could get you telnet/http/ftp services for free.

saai
Actually, if you install PWS, you will be able to telnet into your system. As for FTP, there are thousands of trial version software that you can download. go to: Tucows and check the ftp server, web server and telnet server section...

Cyberdrek
Headhunter Soft
DLC Multimedia
[Cyberdrek | ]
I got "xitami" installed and found my "real" IP address which is just my network IP address. It claims to be a web-server as well but like PWS it can only be used within the LAN. I tried using my web IP given by ICQ and I got access denied even with it running. I also tried a couple FTP servers which failed to work. At least on Win95/98. My current conclusion is that I need WindowsNT set up as a web-server (something I want to do anyway) before I can access my computer with my internet IP.

I don''t suppose any of you have your own web-servers by which you could try running "SimpleConnect" to test DirectPlay using an IP?

I just need to know what software you''re using and what OS you have.

Ben

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement