🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

mmorpg

Started by
3 comments, last by djsteffey 23 years, 11 months ago
I am programming a small MMORPG (no more than 100 - 150 people online at once and that is stretching it). I was thinking about two ways to update the clients. 1) Maybe 5 times per second or so send a data packet of all players positions to each client (just the ones on the same map or in the same town). 2) Anytime anyone moves, send a data packet to each client with only the player who moved position. So if for some weird reason everyone was standing still, then no data would be sent or received. Now this is just the basic beginning of the server/client I am writing because I know later I need to send/receive interaction between players, but just for now and the movement......... What are the advantages/disadvantages of each method ? "Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail themGames Productions
Advertisement
Hey you should check out Graal (graalonline.com) look at how it handles things, there is usually NO lag at all. it is really optimized. (for info on how it sends data read its updates it gives out a lot of info)

-TipTup
TipTup.Com
I looked all over their site and didnt find anything about the info you suggested. Can you be more precise ?

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

sorry you have to download the actual game...
try it out and read the readmes.... then look at how well it handles lag (scroll through all the version fixes)

-TipTup
TipTup.Com
ok.......thanks

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement