🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Shareware? Freeware? Open-Source?

Started by
0 comments, last by Octarinne 23 years, 11 months ago
While working on my CRPG Construction Set project I was wondering if I should release the construction set as freeware and sell game modules. Or release the modules with the construction set as shareware. Going freeware would allow people to test the construction set while being developped. And I''m sure that not many people have the monetary resources to build a great module. So I don''t think that my modules would be "menaced" since I pay my artists. And if going freeware, should I go open-source as well? I would like to know your opinions on those different methods of producing/distributing software. Thanks! --------------- Shareware CRPGs http://pages.infinit.net/bprezeau/CRPG.html
Advertisement
You want people to test your products for free, don''t you? Fortunately with today''s state of things it''s possible

Just release it as freeware(I wouldn''t really go open sourse), and allow people to do whatever the hell they want as long as they don''t sell extension packs. You''ll get bug reports for free, and you''ll get a bunch of freeware extension packs floating around, supporting your game. If people want to make profit, sure, let them, but charge them money for the license to sell. This way everyone will be happy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement