🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

TCP/IP vs MODEM vs CABLE

Started by
1 comment, last by Grasshopper 23 years, 10 months ago
This may seem like a stupid question but... I''m just put some directplay code in my game which uses TCP/IP to connect to other appliciations. I noticed i could also have used MODEM or CABLE connection. Well i''m using a CABLE MODEM to connect to the internet so what''s the difference here. What connection is fastest?
Advertisement
TCP/IP is a connection protocall. It''s a method for computers to talk to each other.

A modem is a card put in your PC that lets to transpher information accross a non-digital medium. (phone line, air, coaxial(sp?) cable, etc. )

A cable modem is a TYPE of modem. Its faster than the traditional standard phone line modem.

------------------------------

"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
------------------------------"My sword is like a menacing cloud, but instead of rain, blood will pour in its path." - Sehabeddin, Turkish Military Commander 1438.
Each is a different method of connecting to another computer.

When DirectInput says "Modem," it''ll use the modem in your computer to directly dial the other computer.

"Cable" means connect through a null modem cable, a wire that directly connects two computers that are usually physically next to each other.

"TCP/IP" means to connect using that protocol (or UDP), using an IP that has already been established before your program was run.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement