🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

So I wrote a game, what next?

Started by
8 comments, last by Aqutiv 23 years, 9 months ago
Assuming I wrote a pretty good game, ( which I didn''t, but what the heck. I''d first be intrested to know. ) What would I do now? Try to sell it? Try to get it published? Distribute it for free? And in either decision, What would be the best way to do it? I''d like to mention at this point that i''m under 18..
AquDev - It is what it is.
Advertisement
It depends on the level of quality the game has...
graphics, sound and interest.
- Telmo Amaro -
I would suggest giving away your first game for free or maybe as shareware. Either way, you could ask for a reasonable registration fee if people like your game and you MIGHT make a little money if your game is fun. More importantly, though (in my opinion) you will give yourself some publicity. On your next project, perhaps you will have a little bit of a following. It happens quite often where people think "Hey, that guy made ''Intergalactic Butt Kicker'' and I really liked that game. I''ll try his new one."

The reason that I recommend not selling and publishing your first game is that it probably isn''t go to bring you much money commercially. Realistically, your very first completed game ever probably isn''t going to be all that great. Who knows, though, maybe you have the next Tetris or Doom?

I would suggest looking at your game as impartially as possible and then decide whether it would be feasible or even necessary to charge for it. Maybe you''d rather have many people playing your game? In that case, don''t charge for it. Maybe you want to make a little cash? Then charge a reasonable price for registering or getting the full version. Or maybe you have the next killer game that will blow everyone away? Then, sell your sister into slavery for a little extra cash and start your own publishing company so that you can make your fortune.

Good luck!
My first real game is going to get published in a 2 pack. I'm not very happy with it, as my skills have now gone above and beyond the level at which I started the game. I'm also not expecting very much money, but rather publicity.

Show your game to other people. Do they like it? Don't tell them that you wrote it and see what their reactions are. If good, then great! If not, then try something different. But most of all, don't kill yourself if your first game is a dud. Notice I mentioned my first *real* game, not my first game

Just keep going and have fun. Sooner or later you'll get a chance to get published. IMHO, you shouldn't waste your efforts into writing freeware unless you're just beginning.

Good luck,
Martin

Edited by - lpsoftware on August 15, 2000 9:35:28 PM
______________Martin EstevaolpSoftware
And why not ''waste your efforts'' writing freeware? I think freeware is great. While I do intend to make some money in this biz, I think it is prudent to continue developing freeware for 2 reasons:

1) Contributions to the freeware community allow you to earn much Karma

2) From a marketing standpoint, freeware can be a great tool. If you have a solid base of freeware at your site and get the word out there, you''ll have a fair number of people visiting. If they like your freeware, some of them will check out your shareware and commercial products. Some of those people will make purchases. Keep posting freeware, they''ll keep coming back. You can''t lose.
Aldacron: Your points are very true. I shouldn''t have put it as "wasting your efforts." Many programs that I use are freeware, now that I notice, and I have released freeware stuff before--demos, small games, source code, etc. But I for one will not release a product as freeware when I can release it as a budget game effectively.

Martin
I would release demo freeware just to make a name for myself (if posting wasn''t enough ). By releasing demos as freeware, people get to see your game and know your name (hey, that rhymes!). That is what I would prefer in the biz rather than big bucks (at least, for starting out ), I just want to be recognized for the achievements that I have made. You get employed like that

-Chris Bennett ("Insanity" of Dwarfsoft)

Check our site:
http://www.crosswinds.net/~dwarfsoft/
Check out our NPC AI Mailing List :
http://www.egroups.com/group/NPCAI/
made due to popular demand here at GDNet :)
Seen the comments on freeware. I like freeware myself, but the game I am currently developing has taken 4 years of my spare time, and some money to get the development done legally ;-)

I really can''t afford to give away the game for free. I will, however, give away a demo for free (if possible, see below), since that allows people to try it out before they buy the game and then see they didn''t really like it. It also allows a much larger audience to see the game (lots of people try out something as long as it''s free).

So currently the game is nearing completing, and I am looking for (a) publisher(s). If I do the selling and distributing myself I can sell some copies of the game, but if I get a publisher I wonder if they might not be able to sell much more copies considering their worldwide (or part) distribution will be much more effective than my own...

I did make a lot of stuff in the ''good old'' days, and I gave away that for free (well, I said people had to send me a postcard for it ;-) It''s always nice to get a reaction from a person that really likes what you''ve made. In most cases it''s more important than a few $$ (notice I did not say ''lots of $$'' ;-)

The only alternative would be to find enough sponsoring to be able to give away the game for free, but I don''t think that''s a very likely possibility...

M. Egmond
(Those interested in my game, check out the latest beta and information at http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor)
Interested to know what I'm doing?Check out http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor
If you want to have your game published, you should go to G.O.D (www.godgames.com). Even if you aren''t publishing your game or not publishing with the Gathering, they have some good information (see the 10 commandments on their site) so you don''t end up selling everything to the publisher.
megmond: I checked out your game: very nice job! I suggest that you head on over to www.crystal-interactive.com. Crystal Interactive is a publisher who I''m working with at the moment, and they seem to be pretty competent. Just make sure to say that I referred them to you

Good luck,
Martin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement